SADIE CHANLETT-AVERY is a yoga instructor and holistic fitness trainer who grew up barefoot on a farm in West Virginia. As a chubby kid she felt awkward on the co-ed soccer team and clunky in dance classes. By adolescence she gave up on organized sports and became increasingly sedentary.
As an overweight adult, Sadie joined 24 Hour Fitness and found a yoga class. It immediately quenched a hunger for movement and offered ease in her skin. She has since earned nine fitness certifications, completed a masters degree in Holistic Health Education, taught thousands of classes, and served hundreds of private clients.
As the in-house Yogi at Clif Bar & Co. she directs the yoga and perinatal program, trains with kettlebells, and serves on the Wellness Team. On a typical day she leads dudes through “Broga,” prepares the Tough Mudder team, and faces an endless supply of tight hamstrings. Her public classes at Namaste Yoga and Wellness in Oakland, California welcome a diverse group of newbies and seasoned yogis.
After teaching she records her insights. She is writing a book about holistic fitness and blogs at ActiveBodyStillMind.com. She has forged a unique personal, academic, and professional path that continually leads to deeper healing, creativity, and service. Although the road to mastery will always be a bumpy ride, she’s dedicated to learning and teaching for the rest of her life.
ACCOMPLISHMENTS & CREDENTIALS
- Master of Arts in Holistic Health Education, John F. Kennedy University (2009); specialized course work in somatic psychology and nutrition
- Russian Kettlebell Challenge, Certified Instructor (2010); endured rigorous kettlebell training and passed demanding testing
- American Fitness Professionals, Certified Pre-postnatal Exercise Specialist (2010); studied safe programming for perinatal wellbeing
- Yoga Tune Up, Certified Teacher (2008); learned anatomy, innovative class sequencing, and advanced teaching techniques
- American College of Sports Medicine, Certified Personal Trainer (2008); passed a challenging test of kinesiology and exercise physiology
- Glenn Black Rainforest Yogi Training Project, Certified Teacher (2003, 2005); immersed in two, month-long meditation and yoga intensives
- Ana Forrest Yoga Teacher Training, Certified Yoga Teacher (2003); delved into the study and practice of yoga teaching
Be a teacher:
- Keep flexing those writing muscles and release the content of her first book through blogs like Athleta Chi and ActiveBodyStillMind.com
- Design unique teaching events in Athleta stores
- Teach her first international retreat; design and lead this innovative yoga and culinary culture adventure to Italy
Be a student:
- Expand understanding of anatomy by taking a cadaver dissection lab
- Assist and study with her teacher at the Omega Institute
WEBSITE: ActiveBodyStillMind.com »