MELANIE WEBB is an innovator in the growing adventure travel industry whose quest, personally and professionally, is to challenge the body, lift the spirit, and do so while immersed in wilderness. An avid explorer, Melanie’s athletic pursuits have taken her to Northern Africa, South America, Asia, Europe, and throughout the United States and Canada. Sol Fitness Adventures, Melanie’s business venture to share her passion for exploring the outdoors, landed top reviews in OutsideMagazine twice in 2011 – for its new Adventure Travel Preparation training service and its Redrock Backpacker trip near Zion National Park. Under Melanie’s expert guidance, Sol’s guests have explored secluded slot canyons, overcome fears and bad health habits, and experienced the life-transforming gifts of Mother Nature.
Cutting her teeth as a personal trainer in Washington D.C.’s elite training venues, Melanie recognized the need for stressed-out city dwellers to experience the outdoors and headed back home to the West to establish Sol Fitness Adventures. As a trainer and an outdoor adventure guide, Melanie’s clients have included CEO’s and corporate employees; a dancer from Canada’s Winnipeg Ballet and an injured motocross star; a squash national champion and first time exercisers; socialite moms and a former U.S. Secretary of Defense.
Raised exploring Utah’s wild and scenic places, Melanie’s mentoring in the body arts began as a high school volleyball player at age 14, with physical therapists working on chronic leg injuries and her coach introducing visualization techniques to improve performance. She continually pushed her physical limits in search of her next brush with the wild, competing in sprint triathlons, 5 and 10k races, snowboarding, and hiking. Defining moments in her athletic career include coming back from injury many times — like undergoing knee and shoulder reconstructive surgeries. It was through the path of healing herself that Melanie broke from formulaic training methods, influenced by alternative therapies like Rolfing and energy work. It was from these and her continued love of exploring wilderness that Melanie developed her unique and personalized training style. Melanie’s athletic lifestyle continues to be an exciting journey – one that she’s thrilled about sharing with Athleta in 2012!
ACCOMPLISHMENTS & CREDENTIALS:
- American Council on Exercise (ACE) Certified Personal Trainer
- National Academy of Sports Medicine (NASM) Advantage Trainer
- Wilderness Training and Client Accountability
- Integrated Flexibility Training
- Reebok University Active/Reactive Neuromuscular Training
- Pranayama meditation and energy healing techniques
- Bachelor of Science Physiology and Human Developmental Biology, Brigham Young University, Provo, UT
- Adventures around the world: stand up paddled Bali, Indonesia; trekked the Inca Trail to Machu Picchu, Peru; snowboarded the Andes Mountains in Portillo Chile; rock-climbed Corcovado in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil; hiked the Highlands of Scotland; biked through the Emmental Valley of Switzerland; and explored the Atlas Mountains of Morocco.
- Featured in numerous national publications and on national TV, including: Outside Magazine, Real Simple, Cosmo Girl, Weight Watchers, Appalachian Mountain Club, CARSON, DC Style, Mammoth Sierra Magazine, 805 Living, and Good Morning America.
- Compete in first stand up paddling competition
- Continue Capoeira practice by mastering the handstand
- Increase cycling mileage to 50 miles distances
- Continue to share the peace, solitude, and physical challenges of Zion National Park backcountry with adventurous guests
- In the next 10 years, hike Mt. Kilimanjaro
WEBSITE: SolAdventure.com »