KRISTIN THOMAS never expected to become a competitive athlete, let alone at an age when many have given up on their physical potential. Always a water lover, Kristin shouldn’t have been surprised two years ago, when the former swimmer, windsurfer and surfer discovered the fastest growing water sport on the planet, stand up paddling. She dove right into this new world: two weeks after purchasing her first stand up paddle board, Kristin entered her first race. Most weekends you will find Kristin racing her 12’6” race board in the Pacific Ocean or inland waterways of Southern California. With over 60 races under her belt in just under two years — almost half on the podium with double digit winning finishes — Kristin expects the excitement of competition and the wonderful stand up paddling family she has met will keep her active in the race scene for as long as she is able.
During this SUP discovery, Kristin has fully embraced the cross-training philosophy. Her ideal week focuses on three to four paddles, supplemented with two early morning visits to the gym, a spin session, a yoga class, and a run. Nurturing her body, mind, and spirit simultaneously is always a focus for Kristin. There’s never a dull moment as she balances raising both high school and college-age children, a husband of 25 years, a career as a full-time educational consultant, along with her passions for educational and environmental causes, including serving as a board member of a non-profit that builds schools in Africa.
Beyond her heavy involvement in the race side of the sport, Kristin hopes to share her love of this “something for everyone” water sport. As an active member in a number of stand up paddle organizations, and as a reporter on an international SUP radio show podcast, Kristin only hopes she can help the sport grow and positively affect the lives of other women like her.
ACCOMPLISHMENTS & CREDENTIALS:
- Learning to surf at 40 with fellow surf mamas
- Winning Silver Blade Regatta, Battle of the Paddle (age group), and 12 other races since starting to race in January of 2010
- West Coast Reporter on weekly SUPradioshow.com
- Article in Women’s Surf Style Magazine
- Nominated for SUP Women of the year by SUPConnect
- Ambassador for SUPlove Boards, The SUP Company, Sweet Waterwear, Calavera, Smart Girls Who Surf Sunscreen, OceanMinded, The Soul Project, VestPac, REVO Sunglasses, and Original Nutritionals
- Sponsored travel to destination races in BC, Canada, Miami, Florida & Blue Ridge, Georgia and Surf Expo in Orlando, Florida
- Serves on the paddlers advisory board of World Paddle Association
- Active member of SUP Alliance
- Bringing three beautiful babies into this world (“if you don’t think delivering an almost 11 pound baby naturally isn’t athletic, you haven’t been there”)
- High School and Collegiate NCAA DII swimmer at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo
- Masters in Education at UCLA
- Host free fitness events at the Athleta Fashion Island store
- Remain competitive against all ages of female SUP racers
- Be a leader in organizing and growing stand up paddling (Olympics 2016?)
- Maintain the incredible positive aloha spirit and feeling of Ohana in the SUP community
- Advocate for women in the sport of stand up paddling
WEBSITE: SUPmamaKT.com »