KATIE SILCOX leads yoga, meditation, and teacher training workshops on a national and international scale, and has also developed an outdoor “Yogini Warrior” program to enhance all aspects of a woman’s fitness — a combination of calisthenics, trail running, martial arts, dance, yoga and meditation. Katie has had the privilege of studying with the world’s preeminent teachers, scholars and visionaries in the world of mind-body health. A certified Ayurvedic Wellness Educator and Bliss Therapist from the country’s most recognized school of Ayurveda, her studies have included spending time under the mentorship of Devi Mueller, President of the National Ayurvedic Medical Association and Dr. Claudia Welch, author of Balance Your Hormones, Balance Your Life.
Katie grew up in what she deems “the slightly schizophrenic Western culture of canned foods, sedentary lifestyle, television, and fashion magazines full of women I could never look like.” She struggled with creating a balance in her life, but it was only through disciplined athletics, including yoga practice, and the study of holistic nutrition, that she found true fulfillment. Seven years ago Katie quit her job with a technology firm, moved to India, and began an intensive study program in the home of A.G. and Indra Mohan, authors of Yoga for Body Breath and Mind, and two of Krishnamacharya’s last students. Later she met her primary teacher and mentor, Yogarupa Rod Stryker, founder of ParaYoga, and she regularly assists him at conferences and trainings worldwide. Today, Katie has dedicated herself completely to teaching yoga and holistic nutritional counseling.
Katie is also a writer for Yoga Journal online and is authoring a book on Ayurveda and Tantra Yoga. It is her hope that she can teach how these ancient Eastern principles can be worked into the modern Western woman’s hectic life. She is also creating an online platform for educating “regular gals” on the beauties of Ayurvedic philosophy in a way everyone can grasp. Katie relishes in the privilege of watching women have “aha!” moments regarding their life practices. She is honored to play a role in seeing women shift into a deep understanding that life has meaning and purpose.
ACCOMPLISHMENTS & CREDENTIALS:
- Named one of San Francisco’s Best Yoga Teachers Under 30 by Common Ground magazine
- Creator of Yogini Warrior — outdoor yoga and fitness experiences designed to boost self-esteem, body-mind connection and sisterhood among women (ParaYogini.com)
- Teaches yoga and fitness at retreats in Spain, Morocco, Mexico, Costa Rica and across the United States
- Certified ParaYoga teacher, a style pioneered by Rod Stryker, one of the world’s most well-respected yoga and meditation teachers
- Taught yoga in southern India, in the home of the yogis A.G. and Indra Mohan, authors of Yoga for Body Breath and Mind, and two of Krishnamacharya’s last students
- Certified Ayurvedic Wellness Educator and Bliss Therapist
- Currently pursuing a Masters degree in Hindu Religion and Philosophy
- Keep up a strong daily practice
- Finish book on Ayurvedic nutrition and lifestyle, and convince modern women that chopping vegetables is sexy, and could save the world’s health!
- Co-found and launch new woman-centric holistic health education platform, Naked Natural Wellness, with her cousin and best friend, Kristie Barry