JENNIFER PATTEE is a competitive ultrarunner, outdoor fitness maven, and relentless pursuer of playtime. She founded San Francisco’s Basic Training in 2008 to fill the void for others like her: those who join an outdoor training program with modest goals only to discover their innate athletic ability. For her, that modest goal was weight loss (fifteen pounds) but it soon turned into marathons, 50Ks, 50-mile ultramarathons, Ironman relays, and annual races down (and up and down and up) Marin’s famously grueling Dipsea trail. Along the way, Jenn found her passion, her strength and her dream job.
When she started running endurance events, a lot of people told her she was crazy, that she could hurt herself and jeopardize her career. But the irony is that she had already injured herself – at her desk. She had a cushy Silicon Valley career she had worked hard to get, and that a lot of people would kill for. But she wasn’t happy, her body wasn’t healthy, and she couldn’t bear to give the best years of her life to something that had lost its meaning for her. So she trusted her intuition and listened to her body instead. Now she leads her clients down the same path. Every morning and evening, she and her team of instructors take groups of dedicated amateur athletes through scenic trail runs and innovative cross-training routines designed to increase endurance, flexibility, core strength and speed. While they’re moving their bodies, her clients often overcome fears, discover a healthy sense of play, and find the inspiration and courage they need to translate those well-earned endorphins into positive change in other aspects of their lives.
Jenn believes that our bodies are the key to personal and cultural transformation. By sleeping eight hours a night, eating locally-grown food, extending a hand to neighbors, and using our muscles in fundamental ways, Jenn believes we can relieve the stress that keeps us from applying our energy and creativity to the complex problems of our time. That’s how she works to save the world: by encouraging people to run, jump, play, bike, swim, ski, laugh and find work that fulfills them.
ACCOMPLISHMENTS & CREDENTIALS:
- Tough Mudder, 2011
- SF Marathon, 2010, 2011
- North Face Endurance Challenge 50 mile race 2008, 2009, 2010. Placed in top 10 for her bracket in 2008, top 5 in 2011
- Quicksilver 50K, 2010
- Ohlone Wilderness 50K race, 2009, 2nd place for bracket
- The Relay race (Calistoga to Santa Cruz), 2009
- Oyster Race, 2009 2008, 2010
- Competed in 5 triathlons, finished season with Vineman Ironman relay, team placed 2nd overall
- Dipsea race (invitational status) 2009
- Double Dipsea race, 2008, 2009
- Make fitness accessible to everybody, for free
- Host free neighborhood events at Athleta’s San Francisco store, as well as mass events like “Bootcamp and Yoga in the Ballpark” at AT&T Park and other ballparks across the nation.
- Try 50 different fitness classes (can be studios, gyms, or instructors) in 52 weeks, and blog about it here at BasicTrainingSF.blogspot.com
- Compete in a 100 mile ultra like the San Diego 100 Mile Endurance Run
WEBSITE: BasicTrainingSF.com »
Photo Credit: Michelle Pattee