CARRI URANGA is a Registered Yoga Teacher (500 hour Yoga Alliance instructor), Pilates instructor, avid traveler, runner, backpacker, and general Jill-of-all-Trades enjoying outdoor recreational activities from sea to snow. Her passion for travel led her to pursue her Yoga teacher trainings in Baja, Mexico, India, and Italy. She has also worked at Yoga retreats in Peru, Spain, Italy, and looks forward to South Africa in March 2012. She continually participates in a variety of workshops to further her education and understanding of the human body, while hosting classes that are powerful, challenging, and build strength from the inside out. But, she always keeps it light with her fun, playful spirit and prides herself on connecting with her students on a personal level. She teaches 15 yoga and Pilates classes a week and is excited to work closely with the new Athleta Philadelphia store.
Carri highly regards the power of the mind/body connection and believes she can do anything. The motto she lives by is Kaizen, a Japanese concept for continual improvement. Case in point: In 1999, Carri completed something only a select few dream of accomplishing — through-hiking the entire length of the Appalachian Trail, all 2180 continuous miles from Georgia to Maine with a 30-pound pack on her back. And in another valiant vein, in 2006 she and her husband sold all of their possessions to travel for a year. So long as she puts her mind to it, Carri believes she can accomplish anything. It was during that year-long trip, when she attended a yoga and surf retreat in Peru, that she was asked to teach for three months, which she did — for the next two years. This eventually led to more international teaching and working opportunities that have since become her passion. Today, all of her experiences traveling have led her to write various yoga and travel articles for Hipp Trip, Yoganonymous, Philadelphia Examiner, South Africa Yoga… and now Athleta Chi.
In her everyday life, Carri enjoys relaxing with her husband Chris, having a glass (or two) of wine and watching movies. She continues to inspire others with her contagious, vivacious spirit, whether it be her private clients, members of the gym or students in her classes. Her spirit is so contagious she even convinced her husband to run a marathon with her (and he hates running, she claims). Most of all, Carri prides herself on being fun and relaxed, making people happy, and putting smiles of everyone’s faces.
ACCOMPLISHMENTS & CREDENTIALS:
- 200 hour Hatha Yoga Teacher Training
- 300 hour Ashtanga Yoga Teacher Training
- Yin Yoga certification
- Pilates mat certification
- Through-hiked the Appalachian Trail in 1999 – 2180 continuous miles from Georgia to Maine carrying a 30-pound pack (Longest day: 26.5 miles!)
- Spent a year surfing, hiking, cycling & eating her way through Central & South America 2006/2007
- 37-mile Weekend to End Women’s Cancers walk raising $2000, Toronto 2010
- 60-mile/3-day Susan G. Komen walk raising $2300, Philadelphia 2010
- Ran the Philadelphia Marathon November 2011
- Host free fitness events at the Athleta Philadelphia store
- Power Pilates Training scheduled January and February
- Ride a Century
- Earn a Personal Training certification
- Climb Kilimanjaro
- Start Vicarrious Adventures pairing outdoor adventures with yoga and travel
- Participate in Seane Corn’s Off the Mat and Into the World leadership training in July
- Corporate sponsorship proposal that will allow her to walk the Susan G. Komen 3-day in all 14 cities for a total of 840 miles in late July-November