Fitness

The Ultimate 34-Minute Winter Workout

January 22, 2017
SISSFiT cofounders, Lauren and Kelly, are sisters, certified fitness trainers, sports models, and former Division 1 Track and Field athletes. With an extensive background in sports and fitness, in addition to a first-hand understanding of hectic and demanding careers, the sisters have joined forces to bring you their realistic and effective approach to everyday working out.

SISSFiT-8443
SISSFiT-8367

Why 34-minute workouts?

34-minute workouts are perfect for the busy woman. They are long enough to achieve results, but short enough to fit in on the fly. Whether you’re a corporate woman squeezing in a workout before work or at lunch, a busy stay-at-home mom working out while your child naps, or an everyday fitness enthusiast looking for an efficient workout, these workouts are proven to be both effective and sustainable!

It’s too cold to leave the house… where can this workout be done?

Pretty much anywhere! Winter months provide a number of obstacles to your fitness routine. This can make staying motivated and fitting in workouts extremely difficult. Therefore, workouts that require only one set of dumbbells, a workout mat, and a small area make it easy to get your sweat on anytime, anywhere (living room anyone?!).

5 tips for staying on track during the winter months:
  1. Find a location that works for you- at home or gym.
  2. Decide and commit to the number of workouts you will perform each week- be realistic, it’s okay to start small and build your way up.
  3. Set your time of day- before work, when your child is napping, or on your lunch break. Getting into a consistent routine is one of the surest ways to stay on track.
  4. Grab a buddy! Whether that’s meeting up for a workout or checking in with one another, being able to hold each other accountable is a great way to stay motivated.
  5. Write down your fitness goals- the more you see these goals, the more likely you are to make wise decisions that propel you towards them.

SISSFiT-8325

Resistance Training-Athleta.pages

Athleta Total Body (1).pages

SISSFiT-8592

SISSFiT-8288

SISSFiT-8157

Connect with the ladies at SISSFiT on Instagram here. Photos by @nobleandrews.

ARE YOU A FITNESS PROFESSIONAL?

We offer our FitPros a 30% discount, the chance to host classes & events in our stores, access to special store events, special offers to share with your community, and more!

Signing up is easy: just bring a valid ID and proof of your certification to a store near you! FIND A STORE

You Might Also Like

• Reply Maria January 24, 2017 at 7:40 am

How many reps for each move?

• Reply Marisa January 24, 2017 at 11:00 am

You do each exercise for 1 minute. Repeat circuit 3 times for a total of 12 minutes. No need to count reps. It’s what ever you can do in each given minute.

• mm
        Reply Team Athleta January 24, 2017 at 12:52 pm

Hi Maria,

The workout is time based (1 minute per exercise following the format) — Lauren & Kelly suggest as many reps as possible within each minute without pushing yourself so hard that you burn out and can’t continue the exercise for the entire minute. Let us know of any other questions!

-Violetta

• Reply Judy February 16, 2017 at 2:24 pm

as many as it takes to finish one min!!!

• Reply Diane January 24, 2017 at 10:04 am

I’m wondering the same thing as you Maria. Does anyone know?

• Reply Marisa January 24, 2017 at 11:01 am

• Reply Celeste January 24, 2017 at 11:21 am

You’re doing the exercises for a minute each – so however many you are able to do. No set number of reps.

• Reply C January 24, 2017 at 11:58 am

It is timed rather than a specific number of reps.

• Reply Kerry January 24, 2017 at 12:46 pm

It is timed…so it is 1 minute per exercise.

• Reply Mary Ellen Oxendine January 29, 2017 at 6:17 am

Are you suppose to do each exercise one time in the circuit and then go back and do it again? I have done circuits in the past, but since this only has four moves I was just wondering?

• Reply Lauren February 9, 2017 at 4:37 pm

Hi Mary Ellen! Yes, you are supposed to perform Circuit 1 three times (total of 12 minutes), followed by Circuit 2 three times (another 12 minutes) and then finish with one time through both circuits (8 minutes). Hope this helps!

• Reply Maria @ Running Minnesota January 29, 2017 at 2:53 pm

This is perfect because this winter is Minnesota is making me hibernate. It is brutal.

• Reply Rosanna January 31, 2017 at 10:54 am

It states two sets of dumbells. How do you know which to use?

• Reply Lauren February 9, 2017 at 4:39 pm

Hi Rosanna! Use whatever dumbbells you can without compromising your form…good luck!

• Reply Corey February 1, 2017 at 9:07 am

I’ve tried this workout and love it!! Can you tell my what kind of Asics shoes the ladies are wearing though?

• Reply Lauren February 9, 2017 at 4:42 pm

So glad you love the workout Corey! We are wearing the FuzeX (great for training but we recommend more supportive shoes for running :))

• Reply Donna Niemczyk February 8, 2017 at 6:21 am

I love the black leggings. Which are those?
    Thx!

• Reply Lauren February 9, 2017 at 4:44 pm

Hi Donna! These are the Stealth Mesh 7/8 tights…we are completely obsessed!

• Reply Shauna February 8, 2017 at 7:17 am

I’m always excited for a new workout. Thank you, Athleta, for sharing this – and to see my favorite Athleta sports model in a new light is great!

• Reply Lauren February 9, 2017 at 4:45 pm

Hi Shauna! Just wanted to say hi and can’t wait to hear how the workout goes! 🙂

• Reply MLG February 8, 2017 at 8:48 am

The guides that you sell on your website– are they just guides or are there any types of follow along videos? I

• Reply MLG February 8, 2017 at 8:57 am

The guides on the SISSFIT website — are they books only or are any videos included that you can workout along to?

• Reply Lauren February 9, 2017 at 4:46 pm

Hi MLG! Our guides are in a downloadable e-book format. We do not currently have videos to workout along to, but we do provide video demonstrations for all of our exercises on our member page. Hope this helps!

• Reply Staci February 8, 2017 at 11:25 am

This was hard! Can’t wait to work up to being able to finish it (as soon as I can walk again… 😉

Thanks for sharing. Love it!

• Reply Lauren February 9, 2017 at 4:47 pm

Hi Staci! Haha YES, this was a hard one, but only because we know how studly all you Athleta ladies are!! If it were easy there would be nothing to work toward ;).

• Reply Andrea February 8, 2017 at 1:32 pm

Any adaptations for someone with a lower back injury? For example I cannot do the jumps or plank for that long.

• Reply Lauren February 9, 2017 at 4:53 pm

Hi Andrea! No worries, there are ALWAYS modifications and you are smart for asking! Instead of squat jacks try either regular jumping jacks or basic wide squats (squats with feet shoulder distance apart and toes pointed slightly outward…be sure to keep a proud chest and weight in your heels). As for the plank, hold as long as you can with proper form rest when needed and get back into it when you can! Each time you try the workout you might notice you’re able to hold it longer than the last time! Hope this helps 🙂

• Reply Angie February 8, 2017 at 3:12 pm

Hi. I have been dealing with a bruised knee for about 6 months now. I had to give up my cardio workouts and began yoga and of course I walk 20-30mins a day. These workouts looks “do-able” for me but I’m afraid it may re-injure my knee. Can you recommend a 34min workout surrounding my bruised knee ? I am so done with this bruised knee and miss my workout routine…

• Reply Lauren February 9, 2017 at 4:57 pm

Hi Angie! Aw man, a bruised knee does not sound fun. If you head over to our page http://www.sissfit.com, we offer a free trial week of workouts and we show modifications for the exercises on our blog page. We also utilize other methods of cardio such as elliptical, stationary bike, and treadmill walking, so this may be a good fit for you! Take care of yourself and don’t push it…better to wait a little longer than to re-injure yourself! (As frustrating as the waiting game can be)

• Reply Julie February 8, 2017 at 7:28 pm

Any way there’s a link to where I could print off the workouts? Or did I miss that somewhere? I do better looking at a paper than a screen. LOVE this workout! Thanks.

• Reply Lauren February 9, 2017 at 5:00 pm

Hi Julie! So happy to hear you love the workout! I am not sure about printing workouts off of this page specifically (though I’m sure there’s a way), however we offer a full week trial on our website http://www.sissfit.com where you can sign up and a link will be sent to you that you can download and print! Hope this helps 🙂

• Reply Emily February 18, 2017 at 5:24 am

What do you recommend for a warmup, and how long? I’m new to exercising but have been running for a few months and want to incorporate some fun cross-training into my routine. Thanks!