The Power Of She

How To Begin And End Every Day With Positivity

December 26, 2016

The Power of She calls women and girls to come together and embrace the best parts of themselves and each other. When we empower each other, we position our sisterhood for greatness. Below, the world’s oldest yogi and her spiritual soulmate share what they’ve learned about positive affirmation from their travels across the globe inspiring and impacting the lives of women.

ATH17_DAY2_SHOT_05_CAM_B_00473

Tao, a 98-year-old yogi, says she loves to start each day by telling herself, “This is going to be the best day of my life.” It’s an attitude she and her yogi partner, Terri, seem to have mastered. Below, they share how we can all bring more positivity into our lives.

Q: Instead of looking in the mirror and picking ourselves apart, what should women focus on when studying their reflections?

TAO + TERRI
Every morning, look in the mirror — into your own eyes — and tell yourself, “I love you.” When you study your reflection, focus on your favorite feature. Then, embody the attitude of gratitude by affirming at least three things for which you are grateful. It may simply be for waking up that day!

ATH17_DAY2_SHOT_07_CAM_A_00317 (1)

Q: Do you have a certain routine you follow to begin or end the day positively?

TAO + TERRI:
One thing I teach my coaching clients is to develop a Reflective Practice – at least 5 minutes in the morning to tune in and set your intention for the day, and at least 5 minutes in the evening to reflect and ask, “How did I do?”  In this way, you can build a habit of consciousness – being conscious of your decisions and actions and shifting things every day that don’t serve you, or doing more of something that feels good and draws in positive energy.

ATH17_DAY2_SHOT_05_CAM_C_01190

Q: Tao mentioned the mantra, “Know that the joy of living is right inside of you. Live it. Believe in it.” during her interview. Are there other phrases you find help you live your best life as you go about your day?

TERRI:
As soon as I wake up, I now immediately say what Tao’s uncle would say every morning, “It’s a beautiful day, isn’t it?” That question simply makes me smile. Then I say an affirmation I’ve used for years. A portion of it is: “Today is a new day and I am newly awakened in it. I believe with dauntless faith that my good in full measure comes to be from God today.” Whatever your faith, say something positive to yourself first thing in the morning and throughout the day. It tunes your energy so you can attract good.

Q: If someone feels negativity creeping into their thoughts, what can they do to push it out?

TAO + TERRI:
Choose your power statement, or affirmation that can help you switch from negative to positive. One I’ve said for years is, “All is working for my Highest Good, things are happening as they should.” Another strategy is to get moving and allow your physiology to transform your psychology. As you walk, run, dance – whatever you do to break a sweat – certain pleasure hormones will kick in such as endorphins and dopamine. If you work out regularly, your serotonin levels will increase giving you more restful sleep and a happy outlook.

ATH17_DAY2_SHOT_06_CAM_D_00266

Q: Positive affirmation can come from other people, too. What can we, as women, say to help lift each other up?

TAO + TERRI:
Be proactive in giving genuine compliments to other women. Make a point to look at her and choose something positive to say. Be sure that it’s authentic. If someone has done a really good job at something, tell her. If you’re in a meeting with another woman and her comment has been ignored, say something about her point. In other words, serve as “backup” since women are often ignored in meetings dominated by men.

ATH17_DAY2_SHOT_07_CAM_C_00314

Read more stories and get inspired to make your own lasting change.

You Might Also Like

• Reply Rebecca Phillips January 3, 2017 at 2:59 pm

I received your January 2017 magazine in the mail today and I can’t stop staring at the cover. As a matter of fact, it’s going on my refrigerator as a daily reminder of all that’s possible. I have been seriously thinking of taking up yoga, I even have a gorgeous green yoga mat that’s been in my closest for over a year. I am 56 years old and overweight and just plain tired and achey. I found these articles about Tao and Terri and have never felt more inspired. Thank you for such positivity. I am going to begin this evening with some simple stretches and then head on over to youtube for some beginner classes. If we could all just be the positive role model that Tao is, what a wonderful world it would be. My journey starts today…..thank you for the inspiration and thank you to Tao and Terri!!!!!!!

• Reply Kathy January 5, 2017 at 7:03 pm

Rebecca I had the sam experience! I stared at that cover and it’s up on my refrigerator as inspiration. My kids and I just watched the video. Thanks athlete for the powerful inspiration.

• Reply Deena January 9, 2017 at 8:52 pm

The first teaching of yoga is NOW, the practice of yoga. It’s the very first one! Your now has come to you. Savor it! It is a life long PRACTICE. Be kind to yourself and enjoy this exploration on your pretty green mat!?❤️?

• Reply Patricia from Chicago January 3, 2017 at 4:35 pm

I just got your Jan. 2017 catalog today. Kudos to the marketing department for a wonderful campaign and powerful message to women of all ages! I plan on scanning the beautiful picture of Tao to use as my new screen saver. Her image and positive nature is so inspirational to me.
    I am a 57 year old business woman who never seems to find the time to focus on exercise.
    Looking at Tao will give me the daily message of how well-being can be created in 2017 and beyond.
    It is never too late!!

• Reply Mikaela Rejbrand January 3, 2017 at 9:28 pm

THANK YOU for such an inspiring and meaningful January 2017 cover!! This photo evokes what we need starting off the New Year….that everything is possible. Tao you are a gift to see ….thank you for sharing your story!

• Reply Keri LeBlanc January 4, 2017 at 7:28 pm

Love, love Tao on the cover of your catalog! I never leave comments on brand sites, but I felt compelled to let you guys know that putting her on the cover is such a refreshing tribute to true beauty. Tao, you are an inspiration. I’ve always loved Athleta for featuring vibrant, healthy, amazing women living full lives instead of photoshopped images. Keep doing what you’re doing and hopefully others will follow your example. This is how an unhealthy culture of ageism and unrealistic “beauty” standards is changed. Bravo!

• Reply Lee January 7, 2017 at 7:41 am

Ditto.

• Reply Susan January 4, 2017 at 9:12 pm

What a beautiful cover photo for January 2017. An inspiration to all. Thank you.

• Reply Amanda McCarthy January 5, 2017 at 6:02 am

These women are awesome! The power of positivity can change your life. I am guilty of looking in the mirror and pointing out all of my self-perceived flaws. I’m sick of being so critical of myself! It’s time to start celebrating all that I’ve accomplished. 2017 is going to be the year I look for the good in myself and in others.

• Reply T Lawton January 5, 2017 at 6:14 am

I did also receive a catalog with a beautiful face of Tao. Wow! What an amazing story she and Terri have to inspire women. Tao made me think what I want to look like when I am her age ( well if I live that long!)- And I definitely want to look like her with positive smile and energy. I think all can agree on this!! I have been taking care of myself by eating right, doing exercise for years.. it has been helping me to destress from my daily or work related stresses as well as sickness. I am 44 almost 45 yrs old but I can still compete with 20’s and 30’s when I go group exercise class- I think it is so important to be fit physically and mentally. There are too many nagativities in this life, but we can only control our own mind and actions! Instead of putting blames on something or somebody, let’s make a positive change within ourselves first!
    I really enjoyed reading this!! Thank you for sharing an amazing story!! And I am an Athleta girl!!

• Reply Cynthia January 5, 2017 at 6:49 am

I was truly startled and amazed by the cover of the new catalog: that, AT LAST, strong women, OF ANY AGE, can be seen and recognized! Without knowing about Tao, her portrait alone is inspiring. Her strength and compassion glow. Her message is empowering. Beyond smarter marketing on the part of Athleta, they are driven by the truth. We are here.
    Tao’s message has been of help to me as I continue on my path of regaining strength and confidence, after almost two years of fighting physical and mental difficulties. I will continue to be stronger.

• Reply Suzanne Gilbert January 5, 2017 at 7:39 am

Thank you for this wonderful inspiration! I think women of all ages need to see this. I am sending the catalog to my mom. She is 94 years old and has a similiar power of positivity like Tao.

• Reply Analisa January 5, 2017 at 10:26 pm

Thank you for the amazing videos. I can see how Tao continues to inspire around the world. She is truly a gift to women in how to see and live life. Women need to be champions for one another and her words speak true to this. I will share your videos with my children and hope they heed the message. Athleta – love the real life role models, keep up the good work!

• Reply Elise Keshock January 6, 2017 at 9:33 am

Hello Athleta! This is marvelous(: I am so happy and pleased with this cover story and the stories of SUCH amazing sisterhoods. Tao and Terri are beautiful inspirations to so many women. Thank you for brightening up my day!

• Reply Erica January 6, 2017 at 10:55 am

I started my yoga practice with Terri at her Harlem yoga studio many, many years ago. She is a beautiful person inside & out.

• Reply Alli January 7, 2017 at 6:37 am

Starting my day with Tao and Terri’s suggestions! Thanks for highlighting these fabulous ladies and ideas!

• Reply Ana Pflueger January 7, 2017 at 12:14 pm

Powerful message you’re sending to women of all ages, ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE!!!

• Reply Sherry January 8, 2017 at 5:47 am

What an inspiring story! As a woman over 50 who practices yoga and meditation I was so happy to see and read about two beautiful women who live and breathe their true selves. Now, more than ever, we women need these stories and people to remind ourselves to slow down, breathe, and feel who we are really. We are all beautiful in our own unique bodies and minds and we can find that to be true when we stop and feel that which is all ready present! So glad to see Athleta moving in a direction that fits us all, no matter our age, size, or shape!

• Reply Denise Petersen January 9, 2017 at 5:44 pm

Very inspiring article. I am a runner who does a little yoga to improve strength, flexibility and focus. Also love Athleta.