Nourishing Coconut Yogurt Bowl Recipe
Refueling after your workout is essential to keeping your body healthy and happy.
After your next sweat sesh, try this plant-based, gut-healthy coconut yogurt bowl from my blog, Honestly Nourished. It’s guaranteed to restore your energy levels, build more metabolism-boosting muscle, and it’s dairy free, gluten free, refined sugar free, and paleo friendly.
If you’re anything like me, you look forward to your post-workout meal almost as much as the feel good endorphins and increased strength that comes from exercising (or is that just me?). This simple, rejuvenating coconut yogurt bowl has everything your body needs to refuel and repair after any bout of demanding physical activity, not to mention it’s irresistibly tasty.
A few scoops of dairy-free, probiotic-rich coconut yogurt provides saturated fats and medium chain triglycerides that actually help your body burn fat more efficiently (remember healthy fats are essential for skin, nutrient absorption, and hormone production and eating fat doesn’t equal increased body fat!). It’s also the perfect canvas for an array of nourishing superfood toppings, all of which will energize and replenish.
Low sugar, sprouted or ancient grain granola (see here for my recs and paleo-friendly/grain-free options) plus half a banana delivers both slow- and quick-digesting carbohydrates, which are essential to replenishing depleted muscle glycogen stores (muscle tissue’s main energy source) and promoting muscle growth and repair.
Hemp hearts and chia seeds contain heart healthy omega fatty acids and fiber—both great for satiety and stabilizing blood sugar levels.
A generous sprinkle of freeze-dried strawberries or raspberries and a modest drizzle of almond butter—a good source of vitamin E, an antioxidant that can help counteract the oxidative stress of exercise—are the perfect finishing touches for a post-workout bowl that won’t disappoint!
Make the Bowl
- 1 – 1 1/2 cups Coconut Grove Organic Cultured Plain Coconut Milk Yogurt (or your favorite dairy-free or organic, grass-fed yogurt brand)
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 cup Purely Elizabeth blueberry hemp granola (or try one of my favorite gut-healthy sprouted or grain-free granolas for a paleo-friendly version)
- 1-2 tbs Manitoba Harvest hemp hearts
- 1 tbs Unsweetened Coconut Flakes
- 1 tbs Chia Seeds
- 1/4 – 1/2 Ripe Banana, sliced
- 1 tbs unsalted almond butter drizzled on top of banana slices
- 1-2 tsp Crunchies freeze dried strawberries
- A dash of cinnamon
- 1 tsp stevia powder or maple syrup
- Optional – 1 scoop protein powder of your choice. Need help figuring out which protein powder will suit you best? Read Katie’s post about how to choose, how much you need, and her favorite brands on her blog here.
Mix it all up and enjoy!
PS: Looking to dig deeper into the science behind post-workout nutrition or snag another easy, healthy post-training recipe? Try my Ultimate Chocolate Banana Recovery Smoothie Bowl.