Fitness

A Q&A with Crossfit Champ Shellie Edington

July 9, 2016

Shellie Edington hasn’t always been able to lift more than most people weigh.

Though she was a competitive gymnast growing up and earned scholarships to two colleges, she realized when she turned 45 that she was having trouble keeping up with the kids she was teaching through her company, Tumblin4Kids. It was only when she heard about CrossFit from a parent that she decided to give it a shot.

Now, at age 51, she’s gearing up to defend her title in the Masters age 50-54 Division of this year’s Reebok CrossFit Games Open.

edington_athleta_spring2016

Q: It’s not easy to go from a routine focused on family demands to one that integrates a regular workout. How’d you do it?

A: I began with making the commitment to hit the gym 3x/week for 1 hour of class. After a few weeks my coach recommended that I continue coming to my Crossfit classes 3x/week and that I also add 2x/week of Olympic lifting to work on technique. I began the paleo diet and went from 145 lbs to 117 lbs. Much of my journey has been trial and error and I have learned what works for me. Thankfully I have a very supportive husband, family, career and coaching staff. Finding a good chiropractor and massage therapist is imperative, too.

Q: What were the first few sessions in the gym like?

A: I literally believed the end goal was death. It was rough. It’s still rough, I just know that I am most likely going to survive. As a former advanced level gymnast, I was not afraid to work hard and I knew that it would take lots of work to get some of those skills.

shellie_athleta7_ig

Q: There are a ton of different types of exercise you could have chosen – yoga, zumba, swimming, for instance – but you chose CrossFit. What about it was so appealing to you?

A: Crossfit is constantly varied, high intensity, functional movement. I like the Crossfit prescription of being prepared for random physical challenges – unknown and unknowable events much better than fixed, predictable, routine regimens. Also at every class you have a coach who is keeping an eye on you, pushing you and making sure you move properly.

shellie_athleta9_IG

Q: Your continued dedication to the sport is inspiring. How do you stay motivated?

A: My lifestyle is designed to support my training. Removing obstacles is key. Dialing in your time, training, career, diet and recovery become habits. I love the benefits of my discipline and so does my family! My coach, Mitch Potterf, is very good at programming what I need to keep me going.

Q: You could have used CrossFit to simply get and stay in shape, but you decided to compete. When did you feel the push to take it to the next level?

A: One day in January 2011 my coach, Mitch Potterf, looked at me and kind of yelled “How old are you?” I replied “46” and he said, “You’re competing!” and I said, “In what?” I had no idea that Crossfit had competitions. I was so shocked that someone my age would be encouraged to compete! I felt it an honor and privilege to be given this opportunity.

edington_kpotterfphoto_ig_0001

Q: Last year you won the Masters 50-54 Division in the 2015 Reebok CrossFit Games Open. For those who don’t know, what are the CrossFit Games, and what is it like to compete there?

A: The games are unique because the events are constantly evolving. They change every year and the events are not announced until shortly before the event begins. Due to the data collected from the Crossfit Open and the Masters Qualifier the programmers are able to raise the level of competition to unprecedented heights.

Q: CrossFit is known for having a very strong community. Has that aspect of the sport impacted you?

A: I would not be there if not for the community. Knowing that the people around you are all there for the same reason – to get better, stronger, faster is a very powerful form of camaraderie. We push each other to reach our goals.

Join us in wishing Shellie good luck as she gears up to compete at the Crossfit Games on July 19-21 in Carson, California, in the masters division ages 50-54! Go Shellie!

Follow her on instagram @shellie_edington.

• Reply flower x ray July 13, 2016 at 7:59 am

However, ordering appreciate it flowers or house plants at a florist
    adds a great touch. The image of any dragon flower was made from various unclothed poses
    and stunning effect by artist Cecelia Webber.
    Flower heather You may offer a lots of related products for example mulch, pine straw, flowering plants, gardening tools, lawn service, etc.

You could see roses, sunflowers, and chrysanthemums
    sharing ornamental purposes with lotus. So, one can possibly, while sitting both
    at home and offices send attractive flower bouquets to family and friends.

• Reply nerf gun 2015 not July 13, 2016 at 8:13 am

The large quantity of vehicles that flood metropolis streets also make traffic problems a common, okay,
    a continuing occurrence in urban areas. There are lots of classic party themes which might be considered traditional boy and girl theme
    party items. Nerf gun all models The rising costs of gas, has propelled potential
    truck buyers to travel for trucks that may meet their fuel economy demands.

Truck makers have finally taken firm steps to improve fuel economy of the makes whatsoever levels.
    In time playing League of Legends I interacted with customer service for two different issues and both times I was incredibly impressive from the experience.

• Reply calla lily poisonous July 13, 2016 at 8:55 am

You can call the ASPCA’s animal poison control
    center at (888) 463-4435, there will probably be a consultation fee for
    while using hot line though. Its then best to make sure
    as many of your plants as is possible are safe or mild for animals to consume.
    Another thing I found out getting married is everyone would like to help.

But the yard work got done, and that’s more fun to me then painting
    anyway. Also generally known as Spanish Bluebells, Scilla
    have beautiful deep blue flowers.

• Reply wifi wired extender July 13, 2016 at 9:10 am

And to finish it, I printed a 16 page document to
    some wireless printer within the basement. On the other hand, the display supports just 65000 colors as resistant to the 16 million available on Palm Pre, i – Phone and N97.

The town has over 300 historical connects, with each one being its own exclusive work of art.
    There can also be a SMS group sending feature allowing users to deliver
    a single message to multiple contacts. Amped wireless review
    Email and texting work well around the Galaxy Rush, the small screen provides onscreen keys that might make accurate
    typing difficult for a few folks.

• Reply security cameras for schools July 16, 2016 at 9:02 am

Any indoor buildings including apartment buildings, houses,
    businesses, schools, stores, and restaurants would benefit having video cameras.
    If your working environment has more facilities, IP CCTV
    systems are recommended. Security cameras on house laws It offers easy panning and tilting that you simply control via your computer while using
    help with the bundled software.

Video surveillance systems used as devices to ensure the safety of
    a home or maybe a business have a number of capabilities and functions.
    There have been countless cases of burglary, theft, robbery etc over the time (and which can also
    be rising constantly), that having home security camera systems became
    non negotiable.

• Reply good wifi repeater July 16, 2016 at 11:57 am

As just mentioned, Wi-Fi hardware needs to be certified through the Wi-Fi
    Alliance. Always be sure you equip your property with proper insulator switch.

Their other models are BD640, BD630 as well as first ever portable Blu-ray, the BP650.
    Qualir may be dedicated to Car multi-media and tracking
    devices sales since foundation, and has now rich experience with solving potential issues buyer
    may encounter. High power wireless repeater In fact, high-speed internet, voice, and text are seamless with quality
    network signals.