Fitness

International Yoga Day: Reasons We Practice

June 21, 2016

Happy International Yoga Day!

Yoga is for everyone, whether you’re deep in your practice or trying a class for the first time. We reached out to a few of our amazing Athleta Ambassadors to learn how they got started and what they’ve learned through their practice.

Practicing Positivity: Meet Athleta Ambassador Lili Daniel (Pasadena, CA)

Six years ago I was going through the motions in life. I would wake up, work all day and repeat. A power yoga studio opened up right across the street from where I lived, so I gave it a try. In my first class I almost passed out, but I promised to do yoga until I didn’t feel like that again. During the 3rd class I took a deep breath and something clicked! I knew that I needed this in my life and that this was a start of a new journey.

I’ve found that yoga brings a lot of positivity to all aspects of my life. Not only am I the strongest and most flexible I have ever been in my life, but it has brought an unbelievable level of happiness and creativity in my life that I can share with those around me.

“I have learned to really love myself and unite body and mind.”

Follow Lili @lilsjourney

Presence and Peace: Meet Athleta Ambassador Jennifer Dapper (Santa Monica, CA)

I decided to go through yoga teacher training only a short time after my first class to dive deeper into the physical aspect. But, I quickly realized there was much more to it.

IMG_2962

“As a busy woman raising two children on my own, I now practice yoga everyday and walk away with a sense of peace and calmness that reminds me to slow down and enjoy life.”

Community Connection: Meet Athleta Ambassador Bethany Lyons (SoHo, NY)

I was on my way to a ballet rehearsal, but when I arrived, I learned it had been canceled. There just so happened to be a yoga studio around the corner. After 90 minutes in the heated Vinyasa class, I was hooked – and I realized it would be great cross-training for dance. Little did I know it would end up changing the entire course of my life!

Screen Shot 2016-06-21 at 10.20.16 AM

“I’ve become more connected to how I am feeling — I’m forced to deal with those emotions on the mat instead of stuffing them down.”

Follow Bethany @bethanyalyons

Strength and Sweat: Meet Athleta Ambassador Grace Ling Yu (Corte Madera, CA)

Ever since I started walking at 10 months old, my parents said I was like a monkey, climbing everything in sight, running everywhere I went, and making them count how long I could hold a handstand. After college I became an elementary school teacher. To balance out the stress of learning how to discipline 6 year olds, I began to practice yoga.

Grace_International Yoga Day #1

Yoga is my sanctuary. Physically, I need to move everyday or I become antsy. I need to sweat. I need to go upside down. It is just who I am and what brings me alive. Yoga has taught me how to tune into my Ujjayi breath and simply… slow down. Even though I am moving physically, my mind is resting.

“When I practice yoga, I feel strong and determined. It recharges me and makes me a better teacher, wife, mother, daughter, sister, friend… person.”

Follow Grace @gracelingyu

Grounding in Gratitude: Meet Athleta Ambassador Michelle Chua (Los Angeles, CA)

My yoga asana practice became my daily refuge, an experimental church, a playground, a therapist, my sanity. During my volunteer teaching service, my daily regimen—a routine I adopted to create a sense of familiarity within a foreign place—became a morning, and sometimes afternoon, trail run to the ocean and yoga asana practice.

While running channeled anxiety and frustration for me, yoga spoke wisdom to my soul, encouraging self-compassion and thus, a newfound compassion for others, whose ways of living I hadn’t at first understood. I began to run, not for competition or ego, but for enjoyment and gratitude toward my body and the inspiring natural environment I felt honored to be living in.

“Yoga unveiled courage and blessings at every corner.”

Michelle Chua_International Yoga Day#1

Follow Michelle @root2riseyoga

Power of Prana: Meet Athleta Ambassador Sara Hess (Corte Madera, CA)

At the age of 13, I experienced my first yoga class. It was fairly simple: find the breath, connect to the body, discover the pose. Little did I know that there was much more to it — that when movement and breath are synced, muscles engaged, and bones aligned, the depth of your practice is limitless and can go far beyond the physical body.

Sara Hess_International Yoga Day #1

Yoga has become an incredible anchor and source of deep internal power and truth. Through my practice and teachings I am able to connect with a deeper part of myself, one that motivates me to live an authentic life.

I have become a more honest, compassionate and truthful person toward myself and others. As I like to say, it is when we meet our edge that we discover who we really are.

“Yoga is medicine so allow it to work its magic.”

Follow Sara @sararahelyoga

You Might Also Like

• Reply reda msid July 1, 2016 at 7:24 am

i have site ( practice of yoga )
    you can visite my site http://www.advicesofyoga.com/
    thanks for all

• Reply baofeng 888s July 13, 2016 at 8:11 am

I carry vitamins around, and like I say, I go see my acupuncturist.
    Communication channels phenomenon is reliant on various frequencies
    that ranges from pre-set lower value to improve value.

Baofeng range Once you’ve set the scene you need to choose what element of history you’d like to focus in on.

Cutoff frequency, sometimes also called break frequency
    or corner frequency can be a boundary a higher level frequency where
    system can not receive sufficient energy flow.

Baofend We might find out about technologies that may be
    used to stop human diseases and technologies that would
    in alternative methods greatly improve our everyday life.
    There was prima facie evidence that they was framed, though I
    was always somewhat skeptical about his actual innocence.

• Reply hitachi cordless battery July 13, 2016 at 8:16 am

In this case you’ll need to reach between each key which has a cotton bud (Q-Tip) that has been dipped in a suitable cleaning substance.

So I am able to make use of the screwdriver bit without needing
    to ask my husband to switch it out for me personally.
    Hitachi battery drills The headset does not have buttons on it apart from a power, volume
    “+” and “-” along with a mute into it so there just isn’t a lot of options for setup.

Much of your respective anxiety could possibly be prevented
    planning a house renovation. But, it carries a downside too, meaning they cannot be used more than about 45 minutes time per charge.

• Reply flower quotes pinterest July 13, 2016 at 8:23 am

You may amaze your mother that has a bouquet of her favourite flowers around the
    day of her bday. Flowers will be the kind of gifts that
    that will be given on any and intensely occasion including Valentines Day,
    birthdays, anniversaries, Diwali, Easter, Christmas so forth.
    Flower headbands diy The best Germany flower shops provide images tell you exactly what will likely be delivered.

You can build your own personal webpage, join online groups, discuss
    your political views, post and look at pictures and in many cases meet new people.
    If you are unable to bring her flowers personally, having flowers
    delivered hyderabad by way of a discount flower company is usually a
    close second where thoughtfulness goes.

• Reply which way up do you plant calla lily bulbs July 13, 2016 at 8:33 am

The leaves will emerge directly through the soil as well
    as the plant will multiply to fill the pot. If you think pink and want a pink wedding then it is possible to make a DIY pink bride’s bouquet that matches you perfectly.
    Some other Easter and spring flowers which are not safe for pets are
    Daffodils, Azaleas, Hyacinths, Amaryllis, Hydrangeas, Geraniums, Tulip bulbs as well as the Iris.

Its structure is really worth revealing plus it’s a perfect match to the dress you may have.
    Mirrors are certainly a necessary equipment per girl, so you should
    give your bridal shower, to ensure that everyone would get what they are able
    to really use and appreciate getting.

• Reply best gaming mouse 2013 has July 13, 2016 at 8:58 am

Be sure you’ve got a mouse trap handy within your garage seeing this.
    Especially if you are a pro gamer, you should not worry about latency and signal loss.
    Best gaming keyboard for mac Her first steps started in the
    age of 11 once the pop princess stared at Disney’s ‘New Mickey Mouse Club’.

Move the mouse left to right to control the paddle inside Breakout side, and move the mouse around
    top control the Pong paddle. Most Bluetooth gaming mice last with regards to a week
    when fully charged, which, as opposed to what others say, is not efficient with regards to hefty hours of usage.

• Reply internet speed cnet July 18, 2016 at 1:14 pm

Ah no, taking that thought on the store will undoubtedly make you
    disappointed. If you could have a Dell laptop or maybe a high-end gaming one, the probabilities are high
    that up-gradation should indeed be possible.

Believe it you aren’t, a brand new study has discovered that
    wearing wearable devices can in fact help improve your productivity.
    Each this currently associates together with the simplest
    doable amenities. Best wireless router booster The volume of paths,
    as you’d probably assume, is calculated depending on simultaneous conversation estimates.