Fitness

Inside Crossfit: The Real Deal from a Brave Beginner

June 17, 2016

Crossfit is a great environment for healthy competition.

It packs measurable results, modifications that take you from formidable beginner to advanced AMRAPS (that’s short for As Many Reps As Possible), and a philosophy that’s positively focused on weight. Best of all, we hear the Crossfit community provides an uplifting atmosphere.

mel

So we followed our very own Athleta employee and Crossfit newbie, Melinda Hughes, to her local ‘box’ (Crossfit-speak for gym), called Crossfit 38 Degrees North. The seasoned graphic designer is chalking it up like nobody’s business.

Q: You’re new to Crossfit. Why did you decide to give it a shot?

A: I first learned about Crossfit a few years ago, through my husband. He had majored in kinesiology and he was fascinated by the new approach to ‘functional fitness’ and easy access to olympic weightlifting. I was not at all interested. Fast-forward a few years — a good friend of ours joined a local box and was loving it. We were both bored with our gym routines and ready to take on a new challenge. We went in for our first class four months ago and haven’t looked back!

Melinda_CrossFit_IMG_7538

Q: What’s been the most challenging part so far — whether physically, mentally and/or emotionally?

A: When I first walked in, I was SO intimidated. There are some incredible athletes in our group, so it’s hard not to compare yourself to their string of unbroken muscle-ups while you’re scaling down to ring rows. It has taken me a while to accept my current abilities and not get too hard on myself for not being able to do more/better yet. It also takes some time to catch onto the crazy terminology and remember the difference between Hang Power Cleans, EMOMs and Split Jerks.

mel2

Q: Tell us about a difficult Crossfit move that you’re proud to have mastered.

A: Currently, I feel super-strong any time I can throw a barbell loaded with weight from the ground to over my head (looking at you, snatch), but I dream of the day when I get my first ring muscle up!

Q: We hear Crossfit has a welcoming community. Do you agree? And if so, give us an example.

A: There’s something about the energy of being in a crazy WOD together that puts everyone on the same level. Failing a movement is never looked down on, and more often than not, your fellow Crossfitters are cheering you on (and picking you, and your barbell, up off the floor, if needed) as you attempt to get a new PR. I haven’t experienced any competition between the athletes in my class.

“Everyone is happy when someone walks out of the class satisfied with their latest accomplishment and completely soaked in sweat!”

Q: What’s your go-to Crossfit outfit?

A: A towel? Ha! But seriously, Crossfit is super sweaty. My go-to getup is a pair of capris (like our Sonars) or shorts and ALWAYS a tank. Sleeves are just too confining for all of the burpees, barbells, and kipping pull-ups. I also have to have those silicone no-slip grip hair ties to keep my fine, slippery hair contained and out of my face.

mel3

Q: How does Crossfit empower you in life?

A: Since starting Crossfit, I feel strong in a way that I never expected I would. Growing up, I tried every sport I could, and I was terrible at all of them. It took me a long time to realize that not being good at team sports didn’t mean I wasn’t athletic. Crossfit is the latest chapter in my quest to challenge my potential, try things that are out of my comfort zone and connect with kick ass women along the way who are on similar journeys of their own.

Melinda_CrossFit_IMG_7579

Q: Crossfit may seem daunting to beginners. Why should other women give it a try?

A: I think other women should try Crossfit because we all know heavy lifting isn’t just for the boys. As a girl, it’s easy to get sucked into the more girly activities, like pilates or spin class (I know it’s not only girls who participate in these), but there’s no reason we can’t jump in and tackle the heavy weights alongside the boys. I think women can definitely find a sense of power in doing these kinds of workouts. And my biggest piece of advice would be to go easy on yourself and not give up right away. It will seem very foreign at first, but you’ll catch on quick. Before you know it, you’ll be buying your own jump rope and tracking your squat progress!

We could not be more proud of Melinda for crushing doubt and embracing confidence. With communities like this, and sisters like these, we can all realize our limitless potential.

Shop Melinda’s Outfit

Napali Mesh Sonar Capri
Napali Laser Cut Double Dare Bra
Fastest Track Tank

You Might Also Like

• Reply Kristine Henschel June 18, 2016 at 8:43 am

THANK YOU for sharing! Good for you, Melinda!!!!

• Reply Cassie Tran June 18, 2016 at 2:31 pm

Melinda seems like such a strong, inspirational woman. I love her relationship with fitness and what Crossfit has to bring for The Power of She!

• Reply Black calla lily bouquet July 13, 2016 at 7:40 am

The lily of Easter originated from your garden of
    Eden through the teardrop of Eve she spread when she
    was leaving your garden. Wrap the ribbon throughout the base in the flowers in the top with the
    base. The entire plant is toxic, but especially its berries, roots,
    and instead gives off.

Now consider the wire and begin wrapping inside the opposite direction inside the same location. The wonderful thing about
    most in the orchid varieties is because they may have several hues within one specific blossom,
    lending a gorgeous textural effect for the fall bouquets.

• Reply community.cookinglight.com July 13, 2016 at 8:14 am

When considering any source of light for indoor gardening, you
    ought to take a have a look at where the sunshine produced by a light falls about the electromagnetic color spectrum.

s Farm is said to produce 20,000 heads of lettuce a year with 5 separate growing beds per machine.
    Best grow lights for weed For example, LED modules are installed
    for the roofs of emergency vehicles.

It is unquestionably worth a shot, since these can easily be
    grown on your own personal. The hydroponic grower should remove and replace the growth medium, together with cleaning and
    replace fresh water and nutrient every few weeks.

• Reply Flower color meanings July 13, 2016 at 8:35 am

You really should realize that most online flower delivery organizations request that you simply make the payment before they
    will prepare the request. If you’re wondering where you are able to go to discover tattoo pictures, then you need to know that you will have several different great options.
    Flower infant costume But it can be a small price to pay when looking on the bigger picture.

Well, it’s not simply a a few simply walking past some flowers and snapping your
    shutter – the way you are taking flower photos is essential to success.
    The capability to zoom to the details of your flower bloom offers
    a surreal effect of one other world that is certainly often overlooked from the naked eye.

• Reply how many cups is 300 grams of flour July 13, 2016 at 8:48 am

You can stick with foods you enjoy or experiment with
    new ones. cancer can easily be stopped, do not suppose
    we should certainly use money on disease prevention, we recommend some types of
    small series which need not give money to anti-cancer. Fluid
    oz to grams

• Reply rca converter box to hdmi its July 26, 2016 at 5:37 pm

It displayed artwork for your channels, provided smooth playback, and ultimately worked like Pandora within the
    computer. The component video input enables you to link the TV
    with a device so you are able to have premium quality and excellent videos each of
    the time. Rca jacks to hdmi adapter The NVRTitan is often a 250Mbps Linux Recording Server which enables live
    viewing spot-out for IP cameras; it supports more than32
    brands and 870 designs of IP cameras.

The design on the BDP-93 has addressed some problems in the
    BDP-83. Digital gives essentially the most effective quality of sound and could be the preferred transmission technique.