For the Cozy Lounger: Our Fave Guilt-Free, Superfood-Packed Hot Cocoa Recipe
One of my favorite things about winter (aside from chunky sweaters and cozy slippers) is the chance to curl up on the sofa under a blanket with a warm beverage. So I put together a 6-ingredient hot cocoa recipe packed with nourishing super ingredients! It takes just five minutes to prepare and can easily be made vegan with a simple substitution or two.
Most hot chocolate recipes are loaded with added sugar, but this recipe is refined sugar free, wholesome, and nutrient-rich. It’s frothy and rich without being overly sweet, full of healthy fats, protein, and medicinal spices that will nourish your body from the inside out. While you might be a bit surprised by a few ingredients (coconut oil and grass-fed collagen anyone?), you can feel good about indulging in this sweet treat during the holiday season.
6-Ingredient Nourishing Superfood Hot Cocoa
Serves: 2 | Prep Time: 2 minutes | Cook Time: 5 minutes
- 1 cup light coconut milk
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tsp maple syrup*
- 1-2 tbs coconut oil, organic grass-fed butter or ghee**
- 2 heaping tbs raw cacao powder
- 2 tbs unflavored grass-fed collagen or your choice of plant-based protein powder
- pinch sea salt
- 1 tbs maca root powder (optional)
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon (optional)
- 1 tsp chocolate shavings from a stevia-sweetened dark chocolate baking bar or 1 tsp stevia-sweetened chocolate chips (I recommend this one because it’s dairy free, sugar free, gluten free)
- 1 tbs vegan marshmallows
- Dollop of coconut whipped cream or other non-dairy whipped cream
*Alternatively you can substitute 1 tsp of stevia powder or 1 pitted and soaked date
**Make it vegan by simply omitting the grass-fed butter or ghee and using coconut oil only
***Make it vegan by swapping the collagen with your favorite plant-based protein powder or skip this addition altogether – it will still taste amazing!
- Add all ingredients except non-dairy milks to a high-speed blender.
- In a small saucepan, heat the coconut and almond milk on medium heat just until it starts to simmer.
- Carefully pour milk mixture into the blender. Cover with lid, taking care to leave an opening at the top for hot air to escape (or else you’ll risk a hot chocolate explosion) while blending.
- Blend using a hot soup setting (if applicable) or on medium until all ingredients are well incorporated and frothed.
- Transfer to mugs and top with shaved chocolate, chocolate chips, cinnamon, Maldon sea salt, and coconut whipped cream if desired.
- Enjoy immediately!
What’s your fondest memory of drinking hot chocolate? What simple rituals or traditions do you most look forward to celebrating this year? We’d love to hear from you in the comments below!
Superfood Ingredient Cheat Sheet
Find out about the health benefits of:
Nutritional Facts for 1 serving from the above 2 cup batch
Shop Katie’s Cozy Lounger Look:
Winter Wanderland Pinterest Sweepstakes
What’s on your list this holiday season? Show us on Pinterest for a chance to win a $500 Athleta shop card. Find out more here.
You might also like
Our new Up For Anything Tight was designed specifically to help you take on new challenges. With a no-flip waistband and 360-degree stretch, it’s the perfect garment for your next heart-pounding endeavor. But if you slip on a pair of tights and need some help determining what that adventure is, the flow chart below will…
It’s been over three years since the #1 New York Times best-selling book The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing came out, but people around the world are still discovering it, and swearing by the methods author Marie Kondo shares. If you’re not familiar with the book (we recommend…
Last year we set some aggressive sustainability goals for 2020, and while are are still a few years off we want to show how easy it is to lessen our impact on the environment. Yoga instructor and Athleta Partner Jules Hunt of the lifestyle blog Om And The City shares her easy ways to live sustainably and…