Wellness

5 Steps to a Delicious Smoothie

May 23, 2014

I first fell in love with smoothies when I moved to California just before 8th grade. They seemed to embody everything that was quintessentially Californian – fresh fruit, sweet, cool, and infinite possibilities. In college, I worked at Jamba Juice, back when it was still known as Juice Club, and learned all the tricks of the trade to making a delicious smoothie.

But it wasn’t until about two years ago that I tried my first green smoothie. Something about adding vegetables to my smoothie frightened me. However, at the time, I wasn’t getting enough vegetables in my diet. I also struggled with afternoon fatigue and had difficultly focusing during that part of the day. I had read that green smoothies might give me an extra boost of energy. Plus, nutrients are more readily available to be absorbed by your body from smoothies and adding greens to a smoothie can also help to slow down the absorption of sugar.

I embarked on a 30-day green smoothie challenge and haven’t looked back.

Basic Building Blocks of a Smoothie

5 Steps to the Perfect SmoothieSmoothies allow me to experiment. I very rarely follow a strict smoothie recipe. Instead, I use whatever is in the house, eye-balling each ingredient. It’s funny, because even after almost 15 years since my Jamba Juice days, I remember how a smoothie should look inside a blender.

There really is no right or wrong way to make a smoothie. For those of you just getting started, here are the basic building blocks to make a great smoothie.

1) Pick a base. This can be anything from your milk of choice (cow, soy, almond, etc.), water or coconut water. I personally like coconut water. I find that it adds an extra dimension to the smoothie compared to just water.

2) Add greens. Your greens should be one of your first ingredients in the blender. This way, the other ingredients will weigh down the greens in the blender and ensure that they are blended. Otherwise, the greens tend to stick to the side of the blender.

If you’re new to green smoothies, start out with a mild leafy green vegetable like baby spinach. You will barely taste it in your smoothie. As you get accustomed to making green smoothies, you can add other greens like kale, broccoli, cucumbers, swiss chard – really anything. I typically add two handfuls of greens to my smoothies.

3) Add fruit. You can add fresh or frozen fruit. Frozen fruit helps to thicken the smoothie whereas fresh fruit makes the smoothie more watery. I like to add about a half of a cup of frozen fruit.

4) Add extras. Smoothies are a great way to sneak in some powerhouse nutrients. You can add ingredients such as plain yogurt, flax seeds, chia seeds, goji berries, maca powder, protein powder, etc.

5) BLEND!

Helpful Smoothie Making Tips

5 Steps to the Perfect SmoothiePay attention to size. Smoothies can easily balloon in size, calories and sugar content. Pay attention to how much of each ingredient you add and remember that fruit can also have a fair amount of natural sugar.

Prep your greens ahead of time. This saves me a lot of time in the mornings. I often rinse and spin my greens, then store them in the salad spinner in the refrigerator.

Use frozen bananas. Frozen bananas are a great addition to smoothies. If you prep and freeze your own bananas, do NOT slice the bananas and throw them all together into a container in the freezer. The banana slices will all stick together. Instead, slice the bananas and lay them on a plate or tray and place it in the freezer. Once they are frozen, you can combine them in a container and store in the freezer.

Balance the flavor. If I use a more distinctive vegetable in my smoothie (i.e. kale or swiss chard), I try to balance the flavor with a sweeter fruit like frozen pineapple or mango. This helps cut some of the bitterness of the greens and mask the flavor a bit.

A good blender helps. Having a quality blender helps assure the ingredients are blended together properly. There are a number of good blenders on the market such as Vitamix, NutriBullet, Magic Bullet, Ninja Blender, etc.

Here’s one of my favorite smoothie recipes. It’s simple and great for spring and summer!

• Mango-flavored coconut water (1/2 cup – 1 cup)
  • 2 handfuls of baby spinach
  • Nonfat plain yogurt (1/2 cup)
  • Frozen peaches (1/2 cup – 3/4 cup)
  • 4-5 strawberries fresh from the farmers market

What’s your favorite smoothie recipe? Share in the comments below!

• Reply Dara May 23, 2014 at 12:40 pm

My go-to: spinach, almond milk, a heaping spoonful of peanut butter, and a banana. Served over crushed ice!

• Reply Alyssa May 23, 2014 at 1:11 pm

Mman I love all kinds of smoothies! Lately I’ve been loving spinach, banana, frozen mixed berries, rice protein and chocolate almond milk!

• Reply Kathee Brimley May 23, 2014 at 1:58 pm

Summertime always gets me started with new smoothies! Lately it’s been this one:
    Almond milk unsweetened vanilla
    Crushed ice (I like the icy consistency)
    Frozen mangos
    Chia seeds
    Flax seed powder
    Vanilla protein powder
    Friends call it my ranch dressing smoothie because it looks like ranch dressing, but it tastes amazing!
    I will add spinach if I have some.

• Reply Debbie (accidently delish) May 23, 2014 at 2:15 pm

my favorite smoothie is frozen banana, spinach, cocoa and almond milk. i love adding chia seeds, granola or flax for some extra crunch and nutritional benefits!

• Reply Running Hutch May 23, 2014 at 3:48 pm

1/2 – 1 Cup Frozen berries (blueberry, raspberry, strawberry)
    1 Tbs Maca Powder or Tart Cherry Powder
    1 Tbs Sea Buckthorn Juice
    1 Tsp Chia Seeds
    1 – 2 Handfuls Spinach or Kale
    1 Cup Fresh squeezed OJ OR Fresh Juiced veggies (whatever I had from my CSA box that week)

• Reply Kristen M May 23, 2014 at 4:11 pm

My go-to is frozen spinach, banana, pineapple, and mango. I use water as my base and sometimes add chia seeds.

• Reply Christine Shubin May 23, 2014 at 5:11 pm

My favorite recovery smoothie: 8oz unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk, 1 scoop Designer’s Whey Double Chocolate protein powder, 2 tsp chia seed powder, 1/2 banana, 2 Tbsp peanut butter. Crushed ice and blend. Yummy chocolate, banana, peanut butter smoothie that is satisfying and low in calories.

8 oz unsweetened vanilla almond milk – 40 calories
    1 scoop Designer Whey protein Powder – 100 calories
    2 Tbsp peanut butter – 188 calories
    1/2 banana – 53 calories

Total calories – 381

• Reply Kristi May 23, 2014 at 5:29 pm

I stay away from ago based protein powders and milk because of the links from the estrogen in it to cancer. The following recipe is hands down my favorite:
    2 scoops arbonne chocolate protein powder
    1/3 frozen banana
    4 ounces chilled coffee
    5 ounces unsweetened almond milk
    Handful of spinach or kale
    1 tablespoon of peanut butter
    Small handful of ice

• Reply Donna F. May 23, 2014 at 5:29 pm

Strawberry mango smoothie – 1 cup chopped frozen strawberries, 1 cup chopped frozen mango, ½ cup coconut yogurt, ¼ cup almond milk(more if needed), 1 tsp chia seeds, 1 Tbsp almond butter

• Reply Adele May 23, 2014 at 5:30 pm

Blueberry Basil Smoothie:

1 cup blueberries
    1/4 cup basil leaves
    1/2 cup spinach leaves
    1 frozen banana
    2 cups unsweetened almond milk

• Reply KellyC May 23, 2014 at 5:33 pm

My go-to recipe is 1 small frozen banana, almond milk, 1 scoop chocolate protein powder, 1 spoonful peanut butter. Tastes like a milkshake! Sometimes I add spinach or fresh berries if I have them.

• Reply Claire S May 23, 2014 at 5:56 pm

I always start my smoothies with Greek yogurt or Icelandic skyr for a thicker base and less sugar. I add a combo of fresh and frozen fruit; I’m especially fond of mixing pineapple and blueberry. I use lactose free milk as well since I’m lactose intolerant and always add peanut butter. I’ve been really interested in trying to add greens, but haven’t made the leap yet. This article has given me some great ideas, and I’m going to try it this weekend!

• Reply Lisa May 23, 2014 at 6:00 pm

1/2 cup almond milk
    Small container 0% Greek yogurt
    1c frozen berry blend
    Large handful baby spinach
    Ice
    Cinnamon
    Tblsp flax and/or chia – yum!

• Reply kristin brindle May 23, 2014 at 6:06 pm

I do a green smoothie every morning so I can enjoy it on my way to work. I prep my kale strawberries and blueberries in the Bullet container the night before. I add almond milk, greek yogurt and a couple slices of frozen bananas. This keeps me full and satisfied all the way to my late lunch time!

• Reply nicole latona May 23, 2014 at 7:21 pm

my favorite smoothie recipe:
    1-2 cups of kale
    1 chopped apple
    1/2 peeled lemon, no seeds
    1-2 cups of water (or coconut milk!)
    ice

enjoy 🙂

• Reply Courtney Penberthy May 23, 2014 at 7:25 pm

I call my new favorite smoothie “Strawberry Cream Pie”. It is a cup of unsweetened almond milk, vanilla pea protein powder, a big handful of kale and one of spinach, half of a frozen banana, 1 cup of frozen organic strawberries, a tbsp of golden flaxseed meal, 1tsp vanilla, 5 drops of NuStevia, and a pinch or two each of cinnamon, nutmeg, and cardamom. It really tastes like pie and is enough for 2 servings (saves well in a mason jar for a snack later!).

• Reply Anna May 23, 2014 at 7:53 pm

My favorite summer smoothie is really simple: 1/2 frozen banana, 1/2cup fresh blueberries, 2 teaspoons chia seeds, 1 cup Almod milk, vanilla or plain! So yummy!

• Reply Carrie May 23, 2014 at 8:30 pm

My favorite is a chocolate protein smoothie: Start with plain, non-fat Greek yogurt, add 2T unsweetened cocoa, 1 banana, 1tsp vanilla, 2T pb& co “dark chocolate dreams” peanut butter, a bit of maple syrup to sweeten, and some ice. You can also add ground flaxseed or other add ins. It keeps me full all morning and is a great post-run breakfast!

• Reply Stacy May 23, 2014 at 9:38 pm

I love almond milk + kale + banana + frozen pineapple + coconut oil. And I love using my Vitamix to blend. It’s done in seconds.

• Reply April May 23, 2014 at 9:45 pm

I like using 2 cups of kale, 1/2 a cucumber, an apple, frozen mango chunks, coconut water, some fresh mint and chia seeds in my vitamix for breakfast. I throw everything but the frozen mango and the coconut water in the blender the night before so it’s ready to go in the morning.

• Reply Noreen May 23, 2014 at 10:18 pm

This is the recipe I have been following for my kids:
    Two handfuls of baby spinach, a banana, 1/4 or so of the following, all frozen: mangos, mixed berries, cherries, and peaches and then orange juice, just enough to blend

• Reply Susan Steinke May 23, 2014 at 11:17 pm

My husband and I have been doing the green smoothies since December and are loving the way we feel! Our favorite “go to” recipe is:
    2 handfuls of fresh baby spinach
    1 large or 2 small carrots
    1 apple
    2 c water
    2 TBSP crushed linseed
    This makes enough for both of us. Delicious.

• Reply Ellen J. May 24, 2014 at 6:00 am

My fav smoothie right now is:

1 c. unsweetened almond milk
    1 c. frozen strawberries
    2 T. almond butter
    1 T. chia seeds

• Reply Paige c May 24, 2014 at 6:19 am

I use 1 c kale, 1 T chia seeds, 1/2 frozen banana, 1/2 c kefir, 1 scoop chocolate protein, 1 T cocoa powder , handful of ice and enough soy milk to get it moving

• Reply Val May 24, 2014 at 6:30 am

This one has good fats to digest slowly and even out the sugar load:
    1 cup almond milk
    2 handfuls lettuce or spinach
    1/2 cup frozen cherries
    1/2 frozen banana
    2 tablespoons ground almonds
    3 ice cubes
    Splash of vanilla extract

• Reply Miray May 24, 2014 at 7:40 am

My husband and I split this smoothie every morning!
    2 C. unsweetened vanilla coconut milk
    1 C. frozen cherries
    3 big handfuls of spinach (or as much as you can stuff in the blender!)
    Super refreshing and incredibly DELICIOUS!!

• Reply Emily May 24, 2014 at 7:48 am

My current recipe:
    1 cup plain yogurt
    3 cups frozen strawberries (slightly thawed)
    3 cups greens – preferably “Power” greens 🙂
    1 T hemp protein powder (currently Trader Joes Organic)
    a dash of water
    sometimes I will top the finished smoothie with shredded coconut…which makes it amazing!

• Reply Lucyland May 24, 2014 at 7:49 am

We purchased a NutriBullet at the beginning of the year and haven’t looked back. Aside from using homemade almond milk for match a green tea lattes another favorite is a combo of:

Handful of spinach or kale
    Frozen banana
    Frozen mango
    Frozen orange
    A little frozen avocado
    Tsp matcha green tea (I use Got Matcha)
    Coconut water
    A tbsp of Chia added afterward

I typically use the medium sized cup and freeze my own fruit.

So delicious!

• Reply Jordan May 24, 2014 at 8:33 am

My favorite smoothie is usually reserved for the end of summer/early fall…I freeze some overripe bananas and canned pumpkin and mix it up with some spirulina or fresh spinach, vanilla protein powder or hemp seeds, vanilla almond milk, and pumpkin pie spice. Autumn in a glass! Love it.

• Reply Ashley Medellin May 24, 2014 at 9:05 am

My favorite shake is one that I have after my workouts. Its delicious, healthy and perfect with added protein.
    1 cup Almond Milk
    1 Frozen Banana
    1 TBSP Almond Butter or Peanut Butter
    1 scoop of Vegan protein powder

Blend together and enjoy a simple yet satisfying snack!

• Reply Jennifer May 24, 2014 at 9:12 am

My go-to smoothie recipe to refuel on days when I’m teaching both AM and PM classes:

1 & 1/2 frozen bananas
    2/3 c. plain yogurt (I use a great crockpot recipe and make my own)
    2 T Peanut butter
    chocolate syrup (homemade, via allrecipes.com if you want to look it up) to taste
    Blend until smooth.

• Reply sandy May 24, 2014 at 9:33 am

My favorite smoothie each morning is
    l c orange juice (calcium fortified)
    1 scoop of protein powder
    l banana
    l c kale or spinach
    l/2 frozen berries
    Mix for a great way to start the day

• Reply suzanne gilbert May 24, 2014 at 9:46 am

Tropical Paradise Smoothie: 1 papaya, 1 cup plain yogurt, ½ cup pineapple chunks, and 1 teaspoon coconut extract

• Reply Elle May 24, 2014 at 9:47 am

My favorite smoothie recipe is banana, strawberries, blueberries, chocolate almond milk, a little vanilla greek yogurt, and mango with ice of course..
    so delicious!

• Reply N Nathaina May 24, 2014 at 10:54 am

8 oz coconut water
    handful of spinach
    1 cup frozen black cherries
    1 banana (not too ripe or it will overpower the flavor)
    1 or 2 TBS Peanut Butter
    Dash of Cinnamon
    1 TBS Flax oil
    MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM YUMMY!!

• Reply karen bishop May 24, 2014 at 12:47 pm

Smoothie receipe
    1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
    1cup fage 0% greek yogurt
    1/2 cup blk berries
    1teasp of organic agave with fiber
    Ice
    Quick and easy
    Flax seeds for a boost is good as well

• Reply Mari May 24, 2014 at 12:52 pm

1 raw beet
    Coconut water
    Chia seeds
    Frozen berries

• Reply Gabrielle @ Marathons and Macarons May 24, 2014 at 1:48 pm

My favorite smoothie is almond milk, frozen banana, frozen spinach, strawberries, and chia seeds!

• Reply Elizabeth Medina May 24, 2014 at 2:28 pm

My favorite summer smoothie is: a base of organic carrot juice and vanilla unsweetened almond milk, a small frozen banana, 2 slices of frozen pineapple, a bit of papaya, handful of baby spinach, squeeze a bit of a lemon, and a couple of mint leaves! Blend! (All fits in my nutribullet). Enjoy! Yummy! So refreshing!

• Reply Robin May 24, 2014 at 3:28 pm

Vanilla almond milk, matcha tea, greens, frozen watermelon and frozen banana!

• Reply Kimberly May 24, 2014 at 3:45 pm

1 freshly cracked young coconut, use all the water and the coconut meat,
    1 cup spinach
    1 cup kale
    1/2 medium frozen banana
    – add a dash of cinnamon for a sweeter twist!

• Reply Linda K May 24, 2014 at 6:21 pm

Living in Colombia right now, I have access to so much delicious fruit, which I cube and store in the freezer. Here’s my go to morning smoothie:
    1 cup water, 1 small bottle vanilla Vox yogurt drink, 1 scoop vanilla whey protein powder, frozen fruit: 1 cup cubed papaya, 1/2 banana, 4-5 strawberries. Blend and disfrutas!

• Reply Jenny S May 24, 2014 at 7:53 pm

Favorite “alkalizing” smoothie is:
    Grapefruit as a base (scoop and squeeze the insides into a blender), banana, mango chunks, vanilla protein pwd, flax, chia seeds, spinach, avocado & ice. Add coconut water to desired consistency. (Spirulina and glutamine optional.)

• Reply Melinda Bennington May 25, 2014 at 4:23 am

Almond milk, cherries, blueberries, whey protein, organic instant oatmeal, frozen wheatgrass and peanut butter! Great after a workout.

• Reply Martha May 25, 2014 at 8:03 am

I typically use almond milk, plain Fage Greek yogurt, whey protein, chia seeds, and frozen strawberries and raspberries picked from my garden last summer!

• Reply Meredith Gabriel May 25, 2014 at 10:02 am

1.5 tbs hemp protein powder
    1 tb cacao powder
    5 frozen cherries
    1/8 cup frozen blueberries
    1 1/2 cup almond milk

• Reply Lindsey May 25, 2014 at 8:07 pm

I cannot start my morning without this smoothie!

.75 c unsweetend plain almond milk
    1 ripe banana
    2 big handfuls leafy greens
    1 tsp Udo’s 3-6-9 DHA oil
    3 Tbsp Hemp Protein powder
    5 ice cubes
    *For a fruity version add 1/4 c frozen fruit (blueberries, cherries, strawberries, mango)
    *For a chocolaty version, add 1 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder and 1 tsp raw almond butter

This makes almost exactly 16 oz.

And I love reading everyone else’s smoothie recipes!

• Reply Cindy May 26, 2014 at 5:06 am

Refresher: 1 cup Greek yogurt, 1 cup almond or coconut milk, 1 banana, 2 cups peach slices, chia seeds 2 cups ice, 1/2 c. fruit juice or water

• Reply jennifer May 26, 2014 at 7:33 am

Tropical coconut smoothie!
    1 1/2 cups coconut water
    2 cups frozen pineapple chunks
    2 medium bananas 2 cups orange juice
    blend!

• Reply Kristin miller May 26, 2014 at 8:06 am

I’ve become a smoothie fiend in the last two weeks! Baby is craving the good stuff! Here is what I’ve been enjoying every morning:
    -Two big handfuls if baby spinach
    -Three second pour of almond milk (it’s about 1/2 a cup but I’m rushing in the morning!)
    – 3 tbsp of plain Greek yogurt (I buy it in bulk from costco!)
    – 5-7 frozen strawberries
    – 1 banana
    – 1 tbsp of almond butter
    – 1 tbsp chia seeds

This makes about 24oz of smoothie, I drink 16oz and my husband enjoys what’s left over! You could save some for later as well to avoid cleaning a blender twice. I love my ninja blender!!!

• Reply Camille May 26, 2014 at 5:51 pm

My favorite “breakfast” smoothie is 1/2 cup frozen strawberries, 1 frozen banana, 1/2 cup soy or almond milk, and 1-2 scoops of hemp protein powder! You can adjust amount of strawberries and milk for desired taste and consistency.

• Reply Laura May 26, 2014 at 7:03 pm

My favorite post-run smoothie:
    2 scoops chocolate protein powder (Nature’s Bounty is my preferred brand)
    1/2 c brewed coffee
    1/2 c low-fat milk
    1 Tbsp almond butter
    ice cubes (or frozen banana chunks)

My kids’ favorite breakfast smoothie:
    1 c. plain, unsweetened yogurt (full fat or Greek)
    1 banana (frozen, preferably)
    6-8 oz. frozen berries (any combination of strawberry, blueberry, or raspberry)
    6-8 oz. low-fat milk
    1/2 tsp. sugar/stevia blend (optional)
    1/2 tsp. vanilla extract

Makes 3 large smoothies (or 4 medium smoothies, if they feel like sharing with Mom)

• Reply Carolsue May 27, 2014 at 1:37 am

1/2 cup unsweetened raspberries
    1/2 cup unsweetened strawberries
    3/4 cup unsweetened pineapple juice
    1 cup fat-free vanilla yogurt
    Blend until smooth

• Reply Dawn May 27, 2014 at 6:34 am

We do a lot of juicing and smoothies at home. My favorite smoothie is fresh pineapple, frozen mango, coconut milk, greek yogurt, cherry juice, rice protein and banana. Tastes very tropical but packed with protein – love it!

• Reply Kristina May 27, 2014 at 6:57 am

Every morning before I go to work I make this energy boosting smoothie for breakfast. It packs a PUNCH and keeps me going until lunch!

1 handful of spinach
    1 cup of 2% milk
    1 tablespoon of honey peanut butter
    2 spoonfulls of non-fat vanilla yogurt
    1 scoop of vanilla whey protein
    4 strawberries.
    1 teaspoon of coconut oil (to sweeten it up)
    ..and some ice cubes for some crunch!

It’s the perfect texture AND amount of calories! I can’t wait to try all these new smoothie recipes!

• Reply Linda May 27, 2014 at 11:09 am

I am a smoothie junkie! I love them so much – all different varieties but my favorite recipe is:

1 frozen banana
    A handful of frozen blueberries
    A handful of chopped strawberries
    A handful of raspberries
    Vanilla protein shake (I buy snack packs – about the size of a juice box and pour it into the blender)
    Some plain Vanilla greek yogurt
    A little orange juice
    Lots of Ice

Yum!

• Reply Alana May 27, 2014 at 11:27 am

I love experimenting with whatever I have on hand but I always keep coming back to this recipe:
    1/2 cup coconut milk
    1/2 cup coconut water
    5 ice cubes
    2 handfuls of baby spinach
    1/2 banana
    1 cup pineapple
    1 scoop chocolate protein powder (I use Tera’s Whey brand)
    Sprinkle of ground flax seed
    Blend and put in a fancy glass for fun 🙂

• Reply Suzy Roy May 27, 2014 at 12:00 pm

My latest go-to smoothie: banana, spinach, mixed berries (frozen or fresh!), PB2 (or any powdered peanut butter), greek yogurt and soy (or almond) milk to thin.
    Yum!

• Reply Nicole-Lynn May 27, 2014 at 2:17 pm

I love a good smoothie! This is my favorite,

Strawberry Acai Smoothie Refresher

(If you’re vegan, this recipe works for you too!) serves 2
    1 1/2 cups almond milk
    3/4 cup frozen organic strawberries
    1/2 cup frozen banana slices
    1 small fresh banana (or 1/2 large)
    1 frozen acai smoothie pack (or 1/2 cup acai juice + 1/4 cup ice)*
    1 Tbsp maple or agave syrup
    Optional: 1/2 cup coconut water ice cubes
    Blend and serve.

*if you do not have acai, you can sub with frozen wild blueberries

Nutrition Info per serving:
    Calories: 199, Fat: 5g, Carbs: 45g, Protein: 3g

Blogs.babble.com/family-kitchen

seasidesmitten at aol.com

• Reply Ellen Casper May 27, 2014 at 5:01 pm

8 strawberries, hulled
    1/2 cup skim milk
    1/2 cup plain yogurt
    3 tablespoons white sugar
    2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    6 cubes ice, crushed
    In a blender combine strawberries, milk, yogurt, sugar and vanilla. Toss in the ice. Blend until smooth and creamy. Pour into glasses and serve.

• Reply Brittany @ Barr & Table May 27, 2014 at 5:08 pm

I’ve been loving spinach with 1 tbsp nut butter, 1/2 banana, a couple strawberries, 1 scoop protein, & almond milk.

• Reply Jen F May 27, 2014 at 5:35 pm

Love love love smoothies! So does my 18month old! We love blueberries, spinach (or kale), cucumber banana and either flax seed or chia seeds and water. The cucumber seems to really make it refreshing.

• Reply Julie Garland Clementi May 28, 2014 at 7:31 am

You’ll swear you’re in Fiji:
    Coconut flakes
    Fresh pineapple
    Banana
    Flax seeds
    Hemp seeds
    Chia seeds
    Pineapple-flavored coconut water
    Ice
    If you just did a killer yoga class: Vanilla-flavored protein powder

• Reply Trailmomma May 28, 2014 at 11:59 am

Smoothies are a regular in my ultra-running, mountain biking and two kids kinda house. 🙂

1-2 cups coconut water (for electrolytes, potassium and sweetness)
    handfull of spinach & kale* (for their awesomeness)
    1 celery stalk
    1/2 a frozen banana (for potassium & sweetness)
    handful of frozen berries (any kind will do)
    1/4 cup of raw oatmeal OR the pulp from home-made almond milk
    1 tbsp of chia seeds
    plant-based protein powder (optional)

*Blend coconut water, spinach and kale first. This gets the greens really well blended and then add celery, blend again and follow with remaining ingredients. You can always add a splash of maple syrup if you want it super sweet.

• Reply Amanda May 28, 2014 at 2:50 pm

I can consume all my leafy greens if I hide them well, so my go-to smoothie is:

1/2 frozen banana
    2 handfuls kale
    1/4 cup frozen strawberries
    1/4 cut frozen blueberries
    1 tbl organic honey
    1/2 cup almond milk (or more to thin out)

Seriously good!

• Reply Lisa May 28, 2014 at 3:05 pm

Pina Colada Smoothie
    1 cup pineapple
    1 cup mango
    16 oz. coconut water
    handful of spinach or kale
    1 teaspoon vanilla

I use frozen fruit because I like it thick. I’ve also done this without the mango and vanilla and loved it too! I have also added ground unsweetened coconut. Tastes like a tropical vacation!

• Reply rachel leep May 28, 2014 at 4:15 pm

1 fresh organic banana
    5-10 organic strawberries
    1/4 cup organic milk
    4-5 ice cubes
    handful of organic spinach

enjoy!

• Reply Liz kluzik May 28, 2014 at 6:13 pm

Add fresh ginger root to any of these great smoothies!

• Reply Katie Van Hoof May 28, 2014 at 7:24 pm

My morning smoothie consists of:
    1-1.5 cups of raspberries
    1 scoop plant-based chocolate protein powder
    1 tsp. cacao powder
    1 (large) handful of spinach
    1 tsp. ground flaxseed
    1 tsp. chia seeds
    1 tsp. maca powder
    4-6 ice cubes
    *Blend all ingredients together*
    Add a sprinkle of bee pollen to top it off
    Enjoy!
    The chocolate and raspberry blend is so delicious that I feel like I SHOULD feel guilty consuming this smoothie…. but I definitely don’t! 🙂

• Reply Katy May 29, 2014 at 5:43 am

My favorite recipe:
    Banana, protein powder, lots of blueberries, strawberries and some ice!
    I also love this verison: Caramel vanilla protein powder, milk, ice and instant coffee

• Reply Melanie @ Nutritious Eats May 29, 2014 at 10:33 pm

No measuring but my standard is: 1 banana, a Greek yogurt, some OJ and non-dairy milk (almond, soy or coconut), frozen berries, something green like spinach or kale, a few ice cubes.

• Reply Vicki May 29, 2014 at 11:31 pm

Chocolate strawberry!

-Chocolate whey protein powder
    -Strawberries
    -teaspoon raw cocoa powder
    -almond milk
    -Spinach (you can’t taste it!)

• Reply Moriah May 30, 2014 at 6:28 am

My go to during the summer is wholesome and empowering for a woman on the go!

1 handful of baby spinach
    1 cup blueberries
    1/2 avocado
    1 nectarine
    almond milk
    (add flax seeds if you’re feeling ambitious!)

blend, enjoy, be powerful

• Reply Hannah May 30, 2014 at 11:13 am

My favorite smoothie is spinach, frozen banana, frozen mango, pineapple, and a little bit of orange juice.

• Reply Renee May 30, 2014 at 12:34 pm

My two smoothies I heavily rely on are

6-8oz unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk,

• Reply Carissa C May 30, 2014 at 12:40 pm

My go – to smoothie is:
    1 frozen banana
    large handful of spinach
    a few frozen strawberries
    ice
    enough liquid to get things blending (milk, water, fruit juice…)

Simple but tasty.

• Reply maggie May 30, 2014 at 3:13 pm

My favorite smoothie is strawberries, banana, greek yogurt, and almond butter!

• Reply Janice R. June 1, 2014 at 9:12 am

My favorite kind of smoothie that I make is when I use 1 banana, some blueberry greek yogurt (usually Chobani), skim milk, fresh blueberries, strawberries and a little cinnamon and lots of ice.

• Reply Melissa June 1, 2014 at 3:44 pm

I enjoyed this one recently:
    1 c spinach
    1 c water
    1 c frozen mixed berries
    1/2 c fresh strawberries
    1 small banana

• Reply Lizzy June 1, 2014 at 4:24 pm

My fav morning smoothie: frozen spinach, splash of orange juice, keffir, frozen mango, frozen strawberries, half of a banana. SO GOOD!
    **Make sure to blend the spinach and liquid first, then add the fruit to avoid leaf chunks. blech.

• Reply DeNeige June 2, 2014 at 2:09 am

My go-to recipe for my morning smoothie includes greek yogurt, a handful of kale, 1 banana, frozen fruit, and chia seeds. But of course it can be fun to mix it up and try new combinations too!

• Reply Rachel June 2, 2014 at 11:37 am

My favorite smoothies always have yogurt or kefir to add some probiotics, so my ideal recipe would be something like this:
    I/2 cup plain yogurt, whey, or water kefir
    1/2-3/4 cups frozen fruit
    handful of spinach or kale
    stevia to taste
    extras-kelp, coconut oil, fiber, chia seeds, etc.
    water or milk

My kids also really like peanut butter chocolate banana smoothies-these are great with a little cinnamon added.

• Reply Parker Zinn June 2, 2014 at 12:40 pm

My favorite smoothie is the good old fashioned strawberry banana!

• Reply Kyra Faulkner June 2, 2014 at 1:10 pm

1 Egg, 1 tsp Baking soda, 3/4 cup Brown sugar, 2 tsp Cornstarch, 2 cups Flour, 1/2 tsp Salt, 1/4 cup Sugar
    2 tsp Vanilla, + 1 1/2 cups Chocolate chips

Oh wait no, no that’s cookie dough. Honestly I love almond milk + BSN vanilla protein powder, classic post workout smoothie. But I’m working on being more adventurous!

• Reply Rebecca Yu June 2, 2014 at 1:42 pm

One I learned in Italy:

oranges
    strawberries
    vanilla frozen yogurt
    honey

• Reply Kara S. June 2, 2014 at 6:19 pm

My favorite smoothie is the following: a handful of fresh spinach, banana, frozen blueberries, 1 TBS flaxseed, 2 TBS PB2 (less calories) and unsweetened almond milk. So healthy and delicious!

• Reply Rachel Kaiser June 3, 2014 at 5:26 am

Breakfast smoothie is my favorite…1/2 cup old fashion rolled oats 1 cup chocolate almond milk 1 banana, 1/4 cup berries 2 tsp honey add some ice and blend! so yummy and filled me till lunch!

• Reply Crimson June 3, 2014 at 9:32 am

I love having smoothies especially after workouts. I usually take a banana, berries (whatever kind I have in the house), Almond Milk, chocolate protein powder, a little honey and sometimes a little apple with ice and blend it up.
    It’s so delicious.

• Reply Melissa M June 3, 2014 at 11:44 am

My go to morning smoothie is handful of spinach and kale from my garden, a frozen banana, handful of frozen strawberries and coconut water, and some times a drop or two of agave if I want it sweeter.

• Reply Jane June 3, 2014 at 6:47 pm

While every season is smoothie season for me, summer seems to be the best time of all!
    One of my current favorites:
    1/2 frozen banana

Green Power Smoothie!

1 cup hemp milk
    1/2 cup blueberries
    1/4 cup hemp seeds
    1 scoop of Amazing Grass Green Superfood

• Reply Katie Morrison June 4, 2014 at 9:49 am

My quick go-to smoothie is a tropical mango, pineapple kiwi smoothie:

Frozen mango
    Frozen pineapple
    Frozen kiwi slices
    Almond-coconut blend milk (Add until desired consistency is reached.)
    Spoonful of chia or flax seeds
    Topped with coconut flakes

I buy the fruit at the beginning of the week, then dice up and freeze in plastic zip bags for easy, quick smoothie assembly throughout the week.

• Reply Leah June 4, 2014 at 6:46 pm

I love a smoothie with espresso beans, peanut butter, chocolate protein powder, frozen banana, and almond milk. It’s a pick-me-up from the caffeine and the protein!

• Reply Amy June 4, 2014 at 8:05 pm

I love coconut water, pineapple, avocado, spinach and some cilantro.

• Reply Heather Groves June 5, 2014 at 6:04 am

My favorite smoothie is vanilla yogurt, strawberries, blueberries, and raspberries with a splash of orange juice. Simple & classic 🙂

• Reply Jesse June 5, 2014 at 6:04 am

1/4 cup almond milk
    1 tbl. Nutella
    1 scoop bluebonnet vanilla protein powder
    4 ice cups

• Reply Tiffany June 5, 2014 at 6:05 am

1/2 c cottage cheese
    1T chai seeds
    1/2 c almond/coconut milk blend (or liquid of choice)
    and either 1 to 1 1/2 c frozen mango or cherries!

• Reply Erica Cheslock June 5, 2014 at 6:06 am

This is a great vegan smoothie with a lot of unique flavor:

1/2 cup coconut water
    1/2 cup light coconut milk
    1/2 cup frozen mango
    1/2 of an avocado
    2 T. chopped basil
    juice from 1/2 lime

• Reply Sara G. June 5, 2014 at 6:07 am

My Go to smoothie is 1 fresh banana, fresh orange juice, fresh mango, two tablespoons of vanilla organic yogurt, handful of ice, and a scoop of my protein powder.

• Reply Debbie L. June 5, 2014 at 6:07 am

Smoothies are a great afternoon snack for me and my family! I usually combine almond milk, a scoop of protein powder, tablespoon of flax seed, frozen banana, frozen or fresh berries, unsweetened cocoa powder and cinnamon. A dash of agave for sweetness and give it a whirl!

• Reply Sally June 5, 2014 at 6:07 am

Almond milk, spinach, flax, protein powder, frozen fruit of any kind.

• Reply Becky Ziegler June 5, 2014 at 6:10 am

Almond milk, spinach, sun warrior chocolate vegan protein powder, powdered peanut butter, ice. Blended in a blendtec.

• Reply Jenny J June 5, 2014 at 6:10 am

My breakfast smoothie every morning is almond milk, vanilla yogurt, banana, a handful of berries, a handful of spinach, frozen blueberries and a scoop of vanilla protein powder. Yummm

• Reply Anna l June 5, 2014 at 6:10 am

My Favorite smoothie:
    1 1/2 cups dark chocolate almond milk
    1/2-1 cup banana flavored yogurt
    1/2 cup oatmeal
    1-2 tsp chia seeds.
    Yuuuum!!!

• Reply Lisa June 5, 2014 at 6:10 am

I’m pretty traditional with my smoothie: almond milk, chocolate protein powder (sometimes with a spjash of vanilla), frozen banana, tablespoon of peanut butter. So yummy!

Watermelon smoothies are also great!

• Reply Kamari June 5, 2014 at 6:10 am

My fave at-home smoothie is similar to the author’s – it’s a delicious fail-safe!
    1/2 C – 1 C unsweetened almond milk
    3 – 4 oz baby spinach
    1/3 C frozen peaches
    1/3 C frozen mango
    1/2 C 2% Greek yogurt
    1 serving whey vanilla protein powder

Blend and drink up!

• Reply Kim N June 5, 2014 at 6:11 am

I love spinach, banana, peanut butter, and vanilla protein powder smoothies.

• Reply Stephanie Ross June 5, 2014 at 6:12 am

I don’t like bananas, so I stick with other types of smoothies.

Summer Stone Fruit Smoothie

1/2 cup Greek yogurt
    1 plum, pit removed, flesh roughly chopped
    1 peach, pit removed, flesh roughly chopped
    1 nectarine, pit removed, flesh roughly chopped
    1/2 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen

• Reply Shannon June 5, 2014 at 6:12 am

Vanilla whey protein,banana,peanut butter,ice and water.

• Reply Pam June 5, 2014 at 6:13 am

My favorite smoothie these days is: Kale, almond milk, vanilla whey protein powder and frozen pineapple. Tastes like summer!

• Reply Amy June 5, 2014 at 6:13 am

Frozen berries usually strawberries, frozen banana, vanilla extract, mint, Greek non fat vanilla yogurt.

• Reply Lyndsay June 5, 2014 at 6:13 am

An organic red apple, almond butter, greens powder, trader joe’s organic frozen brown rice, coconut milk, cinnamon, alcohol free vanilla extract and stevia…. like apple pie!!!

• Reply Arin Deberry June 5, 2014 at 6:14 am

My favorite smoothie for the whole family (children ages 10 & 12 love this!) is mango nectar, frozen mango, frozen pineapple, a banana, a couple of strawberries and lots of baby spinach. Tastes just like a frozen icee! Yum!!!

• Reply Gina June 5, 2014 at 6:14 am

*Green tea
    *Blueberries
    *One banana
    *Cinnamon
    *A tablespoon of skim milk
    *Portions depend on the amount you want to make

• Reply Nancy McDowell June 5, 2014 at 6:14 am

My kids and I love making smoothies together, in fact my son always says we’re going to open a smoothie shop!

We love the following smoothie:
    1c. kale
    banana
    Frozen mango
    1 c. frozen berries
    1 T chia seeds
    1 T honey
    and a little OJ

Yummmmy!

• Reply Liz June 5, 2014 at 6:14 am

I love almond milk, oj, frozen berries, kale, Greek yogurt, and flax seed. Make this after my weight workout!

• Reply Lina June 5, 2014 at 6:15 am

I am clearly a smoothie novice! My smoothies just involve a banana, a handful of berries (whatever’s seasonal/I have on hand), Greek yogurt, OJ, a dash of vanilla extract, and ice.

• Reply Robyne Brennan June 5, 2014 at 6:15 am

Green Monster

Milk, spinach, frozen banana, peanut butter, vanilla yogurt, chia seeds

• Reply Fiauna June 5, 2014 at 6:15 am

Here’s my recipe:
    1 handful of spinach
    1/4 C frozen mixed berries
    1/2 banana
    2 T cocoa powder
    1 tsp. Truvia stevia
    1C almond milk
    1/3 C crushed ice

Yum, yum, yum!

• Reply Lindsey Farwell June 5, 2014 at 6:15 am

We’ve been on the smoothie kick for a few months. Here’s what we use:

8 oz Coconut Water
    2/3 – 3/4 c. Plain Greek Yogurt
    2T Flax Seet
    2T Chia Seed
    3 large handfuls of spinach
    shot of Agave
    2/3 c frozen blueberries
    2/3 c frozen pineapple or mango
    sometimes add a bananna – if they are starting to turn brown on the counter.

I’m excited to try some of these recipes listed. I’m always on the look out for a new good smoothie recipe.

• Reply Ashley June 5, 2014 at 6:15 am

My favorite smoothie is simple:
    1 scoop of Chocolate Protein Powder
    1/2 frozen banana
    1 cup of water
    2 cups of crushed ice
    dash or 2 of cinnamon (cancer fighting properties)
    dash or 2 of turmeric (supposedly speeds metabolism)

I put it all in my Vitamixer and blend.

• Reply Katie yun June 5, 2014 at 6:15 am

My go to smoothie every morning is:

1 Cup Spinach

1/2 banana
    Almond milk
    Spinach
    Blueberries
    Strawberries

• Reply Bobbi Jean June 5, 2014 at 6:16 am

I’ve just gotten into smoothie mixing but found I’ve really enjoyed the following mixture. I don’t use measuring tools but rather base it on my hunger level.

Almond milk

Vanilla almond mild
    Splash OJ
    Vanilla almond milk
    Vanilla protein powder
    Local honey
    Flax seeds

My kids love this smoothie too!!

• Reply Tracey June 5, 2014 at 6:17 am

I love green smoothies! My favorite concoction so far:

2 cups Power greens
    1 organic carrot with top
    12 oz water
    1 cup frozen mixed fruit
    1 tbsp protein powder
    1 tbsp chia seeds

• Reply cristy June 5, 2014 at 6:17 am

Peanut Butter & Jelly Smoothie!

Handful of frozen kale (frozen kale seems to break down better! barely noticeable!)
    Handful of frozen spinach
    1 or 2 TBS PB2 Peanut Butter Powder
    1 TBS ground flax
    about 6 strawberries
    1/2 or 1 banana depending on the size
    dash of raspberries if you really want to mask the green color!
    1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk

deeeeeeeeeeeeeeliciously nutritious!

• Reply Nicole June 5, 2014 at 6:18 am

My favorite recipe is super easy, tastes like dessert, and is a go to breakfast for me at least once a week.

Vanilla almond milk, almond butter, banana (I love your frozen idea!) and a scoop of chocolate protien powder. It’s like dessert and has a serving of both fruit and protien.

• Reply Jennifer June 5, 2014 at 6:18 am

I add 1 c v8 fusion, raspberry blend, 1 c frozen raspberries, 2 fresh peaches, 1 c plain Greek yogurt, 1 T local honey, 1 T chia seeds, 1 T protien powder, blend till smooth and share with my kids!

• Reply Grace June 5, 2014 at 6:18 am

I love coffee protein smoothies!
    1cup spinach
    2 scoops vanilla protein
    1 8oz cup of coffee (I leave mine in the fridge overnight)
    Ice
    Almond milk (not measured)

Great morning pick me up!

• Reply Elizabeth June 5, 2014 at 6:19 am

I love the frozen fruit because you get the great slushy texture without the filler of ice. Need to add more greens to mine!

• Reply Deborah Stauffer June 5, 2014 at 6:21 am

My favorite smoothie (and the kids like it too!) is:
    1 cup of unflavored greek yogurt
    1/2 frozen banana
    cinnamon to taste
    1 teaspoon of peanut butter
    1/2 cup of milk

• Reply Elisa roland June 5, 2014 at 6:21 am

1/2 cup almond milk
    Cup berries
    1 frozen banana
    Tbsp Honey
    Blend
    Add water if too thick

• Reply Sarah B June 5, 2014 at 6:21 am

My go to..
    1/2 frozen banana, couple handfuls of spinach, vanilla protein powder, PB2, almond milk. Sometimes subbing a half T of honey for the banana if I haven’t thought ahead to freeze bananas! But my favorite smoothie is this one from Against All Grains
    Don’t be scared of the avocado! These are delicious!

• Reply Dawn Smith June 5, 2014 at 6:21 am

Our smoothies start with a splash of milk & OJ, organic vanilla yogurt, fresh strawberries & banana, a handful of frozen blueberries, several cubes of ice & lastly a 1/4 tsp of spirulina!!!

• Reply Elisa roland June 5, 2014 at 6:22 am

1/2 cup almond milk, Cup berries, 1 frozen banana ,Tbsp honey, Blend, Add water if too thick

• Reply Natalie June 5, 2014 at 6:22 am

My favorite post-workout smoothie in the summertime:
    1 cup frozen berries
    1/2 frozen banana
    1 scoop vanilla protein powder (currently using Vega, but have used others over the years)
    1 tbsp chia seeds
    3/4 cup of water (or coconut water, almond milk, coconut milk – whatever you prefer!)
    So refreshing and keeps me full for so long!

• Reply Christy June 5, 2014 at 6:22 am

1-2 handfuls of baby spinach
    A handful of blueberries
    Some pineapple (frozen or fresh depending on if I want a slushy smoothie or not)
    12 grape tomatoes
    A quarter cucumber
    Water
    Dollop of siracha or hot sauce
    Blend until smooth!

• Reply Shannon June 5, 2014 at 6:24 am

My favorite green smoothie includes two handfuls of spinach, one lime wedge (peel removed), a bit of fresh mint, water and strawberries. Add a 1/2 cup of Fage 0% to make the smoothie more filling.

• Reply Toni June 5, 2014 at 6:24 am

I like a simple mix of coconut yogurt or goat milk yogurt and ice blueberries and banana. I like to add raspberries or other fresh fruit. Now I want to try coconut water, greens and basil!

• Reply Erin June 5, 2014 at 6:25 am

Yummy smoothie… Strawberries, pineapple, yogurt, and baby spinach

• Reply Amanda June 5, 2014 at 6:25 am

My go to smoothie is kale, 3-4 frozen strawberries, 1 banana, 1 scoop of dark chocolate protein powder, and a cup of water.

• Reply Robin s June 5, 2014 at 6:25 am

I like to combine my green juice with a smoothie….first make a green juice of celery, lemon, apple, cucumber and pineapple…..then blend with banana and a handful of kale or spinach and plain Greek yogurt! Yum!

• Reply Amy June 5, 2014 at 6:25 am

A smoothie even my 5 and 2 year old will eat: blended kale and water and mint frozen into ice cube trays ahead of time…
    -6 green ice cubes
    – 1 snack portion Greek yogurt, vanilla
    -1 banana
    – 1 cup frozen berry mix
    -1 cup carrots, may need to pre-blend
    – dash cinnamon
    – squeeze agave nectar

Nice and cold and sweet and thick…enough to share!

• Reply Barbara Brodrick June 5, 2014 at 6:26 am

1 cup Trop50 blueberry pomegranate
    1 scoop vanilla protein powder
    1 cup frozen berry mix
    My fave!! Yum!

• Reply Julie Whitman-Zai June 5, 2014 at 6:30 am

This is a simple favorite of mine:

handful of blueberries
    2-3 red chard leaves
    chia seeds
    1/2 C of homemade yogurt
    squeeze of lime

• Reply Jennifer lackey June 5, 2014 at 6:30 am

Frozen banana, mango, pineapple and spinach. Almond milk and a scoop of Vega Sport vanilla protein powder. Yum!

• Reply Stephanie B. June 5, 2014 at 6:31 am

Carrot Cake Smoothie:

1 frozen banana
    1/2c freshly squeezed carrot juice
    1 scoop vanilla plant based protein powder
    1 tbs. Flaxseed
    Dash of cinnamon

Blend and enjoy!

Recipe courtesy if Tone it Up.

• Reply Sam Ward June 5, 2014 at 6:31 am

There are so many ways to make delicious smoothies.. one of my favorite is:

vanilla greek yogurt
    strawberries
    blackberries
    spinach
    chia seeds

• Reply Kari June 5, 2014 at 6:31 am

Almond milk, chocolate protein powder, half banana,1/4 avocado, frozen strawberries.

• Reply Sarah June 5, 2014 at 6:33 am

My favorite smoothie to drink year round. The fruit adds a lot of sweetness, and the combination of flavors makes it taste very tropical! Plus the creamy-ness from the avocado is delicious!

1-1.5 cups baby kale
    1/2 of a frozen banana
    1/2 cup frozen mango chunks
    1/4 cup pineapple chunks
    1/2 of an avocado
    1/2 cup of almond milk (unsweetened)
    1/2 cup of water

Blend together, then afterwards stir in 1 tablespoon of chia seeds- they are most nutritious when consumed whole!

• Reply Tara Green June 5, 2014 at 6:33 am

Tara’s Protein Fruit Smoothie

1 cup apple juice
    1/2 cup orange juice
    1/2 cup frozen blue berries
    1/2 cup frozen strawberries
    1 bananas
    1 scoop Whey Protein Powder
    add water as needed for desired consistency
    Blend

• Reply Amy June 5, 2014 at 6:34 am

Almond milk, banana, kale, flax seed, and 2-3 dates. Yum!

• Reply Liza H June 5, 2014 at 6:34 am

My usual smoothie is almond milk, PB2 powder, baby spinach, and frozen banana. Yum!!

• Reply Marisa June 5, 2014 at 6:35 am

Thank you for this very useful information! My favorite smoothie is first thing in the morning before my workout!
    1/2 cup spinach
    1 cup raspberries
    1 bananna
    1 cup cold water
    1 TBSP almond butter
    1 tsp lemon juice
    Blend

• Reply em June 5, 2014 at 6:35 am

My favorite smoothie recipe is a great summer one:

1/2 cup orange juice
    1/2 cup skim milk
    1 tbsp peanut butter
    handful of spinach
    various mixed berries (blueberries, strawberries, and blackberries are my favories)

Delicious!

• Reply Wendy June 5, 2014 at 6:35 am

Super easy:

-greek yogurt
    -bananas
    -frozen pomegranates
    -frozen blueberries & blackberries
    -splash of half-and-half

• Reply Kim June 5, 2014 at 6:36 am

I love almond milk, spinach, pineapple, strawberries, and chai seeds:-)

• Reply Michele June 5, 2014 at 6:36 am

This smoothie makes me feel like I’m eating dessert!
    1 cup almond milk
    1/2 cup frozen blueberries
    2 tbsp raw almond butter
    1 tbsp raw cacao powder
    Smidgen of honey!

• Reply Gypsi June 5, 2014 at 6:37 am

unsweetened almond coconut milk
    a couple of handfuls of kale or spinach
    chia seeds
    frozen banana slices
    a little cocoa powder

Tastes like dessert for breakfast!

• Reply Marra Landino June 5, 2014 at 6:38 am

My favorite morning smoothie consists of 1 banana, 4 strawberries, about 1 cup of V8 Splash Mango Peach juice, and around 3/4 cup of non-fat greek yogurt. Generally I eye my measurements but that seems about right!

• Reply Michaela Copenhaver (@lightweighteats) June 5, 2014 at 6:39 am

When I make smoothies, I add bananas, peanut butter, quick oats and then a handful of scraps we keep in our freezer (carrot ends, strawberry tops, watermelon rind, etc.). If I’m feeling like something more refreshing, I’ll add some acid—a lemon or lime. If I’m looking for more protein, silken tofu is a great base!

• Reply Kristen June 5, 2014 at 6:39 am

This is delicious & great for hiding lots of the greens:
    1 Cup frozen dark sweet cherries
    1 Cup Almond Milk
    1 Tblsp Almond butter
    1 Tsp Flax Seed
    1 Tsp Cacao Powder
    Add in celery,carrots,kale,chard, spinach & Romaine Lettuce

• Reply Lori howard June 5, 2014 at 6:39 am

Unsweetened almond milk
    Peanut butter powder
    Frozen blueberries
    Frozen banana
    Tsp ground flax seed

• Reply Tara Shaw June 5, 2014 at 6:40 am

I have a great smoothie app and love this one for inflammation :

1 cup blueberries
    1 cup pineapple
    2 large handfuls of greens of choice (usually kale/spinach mix)
    1/2 tsp cinnamon is what the recipe calls for I usually add 1 tsp.
    1 cup of coconut water.
    depending on how I feel either chia seeds/collagen powder or hemp hearts.

yummy yummy gotta love all those greens!

• Reply Colleen June 5, 2014 at 6:40 am

I drink smoothies almost every morning to give myself plenty of energy for the day! My recent favorite has been:
    2 peaches
    3/4 cup frozen mangoes
    Coconut water!
    It’s vegan, but if you eat animal products, my family loves to add Greek yogurt for some more protein. Also, chia and hemp seeds are optional to add some awesome healthy fats which if had in the morning decrease cravings later on in the day 🙂
    Power to the she!

• Reply Stacy Grogg June 5, 2014 at 6:41 am

They are all so refreshing!! I love citrus flavors so I love the ones with orange, lemon, pineapple & mango!

• Reply Colleen June 5, 2014 at 6:41 am

My recent favorite has been:
    2 peaches
    3/4 cup frozen mangoes
    Coconut water!
    Power to the she!

• Reply Maeghan Tofinetti June 5, 2014 at 6:41 am

My favourite smoothie is simple but delicious!!!
    (And lactose free!)

1 cup lactose free yogurt
    1 banana
    1/4 cup lactose free hammer protein powder (choc is best but vanilla works too)
    Handful if strawberries
    1 tbsp chia seeds

Blend and enjoy!!! It’s so yummy!!!

• Reply Carrie June 5, 2014 at 6:44 am

1 cup plain yogurt
    1/2 banana
    1/4 cup berries
    Powdered greens
    Protein powder

• Reply Brigid June 5, 2014 at 6:44 am

Coconut water
    Blueberries
    Baby kale
    Banana
    Plain yogurt
    Green powder

• Reply Meg June 5, 2014 at 6:45 am

I’m a mango fan! Orange juice + frozen mangos and strawberries!

• Reply Nicole June 5, 2014 at 6:46 am

Spinach, frozen banana, raw cacao powder, peanut flour, almond milk and ice. Yum!

• Reply Terri June 5, 2014 at 6:46 am

I love to make an “apple strudel” smoothie! All you need is bananas, apples, medjol dates and a bit of pumpkin pie spice. Delish! Or, if you’re looking for a green smoothie try the “iron maiden”– spinach, parsley, pear 🙂

• Reply Colleen June 5, 2014 at 6:48 am

I start almost every morning with a smoothie to give my body energy for the day!
    My recent favorite is:
    1-2 peaches
    3/4 cups frozen mangoes
    1/2 cup coconut water
    I am vegan, but this recipe can be tailored to anybody! My family loves to add Greek yogurt for added protein and smoothness. You can also add chia or hemp seeds for added healthy fats which if had in the morning will prevent you from craving unhealthy fats later on in the day!
    Power to the she! 🙂

• Reply Kristy June 5, 2014 at 6:50 am

Sunrise smoothie is my favorite right now!
    Frozen fruit (strawberries, peaches and mandarin oranges), organic vanilla yogurt, vanilla almond milk, banana and orange juice.

• Reply Kristin June 5, 2014 at 6:51 am

I like this one because I grew up in Florida and we had two grapefruit trees in our backyard, so it brings back good memories when I drink it.

This makes three 1 3/4 cup smoothies:

1 grapefruit, peeled, seeded, and chopped
    2 cups hulled fresh or frozen strawberries
    1 sweet apple (such as Honeycrisp or Pink Lady), cored and chopped
    1 inch fresh ginger, peeled and chopped

Combine all ingredients, plus 1 cup water, in a blender and process until smooth.

• Reply Lauren June 5, 2014 at 6:56 am

My go to-
    Water
    Spinach
    Banana
    Strawberry
    Blueberry
    And if I’m feeling crazy a little nut butter

• Reply Carrie Reifschneider June 5, 2014 at 6:57 am

Frozen cherries
    Baby spinich
    Almond milk or water
    Greek yogurt
    Chia seeds
    Protein powder
    Optional-Almonds and Oats

• Reply Jackie June 5, 2014 at 6:58 am

Every morning I make this for my husband and myself.

1 C Organic Unsweetened Soy Milk or enough to cover the blades in the bottom of my blender’s 64oz pitcher
    4 C Fresh Spinach
    1 Banana
    1 TBSP of Chia seeds or Fresh Ground flax seeds
    1 Apple
    1 Handful of Almonds
    Fresh parsley if we have it 🙂
    5 Ice Cubes

Blend until completely smooth and if you let it sit a few minutes the Chia seeds will make it even thicker. It’s vibrant green and delicious.

• Reply Satoko June 5, 2014 at 6:58 am

I usually drink green smoothie, but when I feel like indulging, this chocolate smoothie satisfies me.
    2 chopped celery sticks,1 cup spinach, 1/2 banana, 1 tablespoon cocoa powder, 1 teaspoon cacao nibs 1/2 tablespoon almond butter, 1 cup unsweetened almond milk.

• Reply Amber H June 5, 2014 at 6:58 am

My favorite is:
    1/4 c Instant Oats
    1 Scoop Protein Powder
    Handful of Frozen Blueberries
    2Tbs PB2
    Handful of Fresh Spinach
    Frozen Banana Chunks
    Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk (to desired consistency)

Yummy!!

• Reply ehiatt June 5, 2014 at 6:59 am

I love making smoothies especially in the summer! I make smoothie packs ahead of time with spinach, frozen banana, and mixed frozen fruit. From there, I add almond milk and vanilla protein powder and any other fruit and vegetables I need to get rid of. My favorites are carrots and strawberries. Naturally so good!!! If I add peanut butter, I use pb2 because putting powdered peanut butter in is so much easier.

• Reply Sheila June 5, 2014 at 7:00 am

I love this green smoothie:
    1 tbsp peanut butter
    1/4 cup almond milk
    1 medium banana – sliced
    1 1/2 – 2 c spinach (you can substitute kale or do half and half)
    1 tbsp chia seeds

blend and enjoy….simple and delicious.

• Reply Amanda June 5, 2014 at 7:00 am

I love blending spinach, avacado, frozen raspberries and blueberries, with some flax and chia seeds, ice and almond milk!!!

• Reply Stacy June 5, 2014 at 7:00 am

Our fave around here uses 1-2 handfuls of spinach, 1/2 cup yogurt, 1 cup frozen pineapple/mango and half a banana. Add in almond or coconut milk to reach desired consistency, about 1/4-1/3 cup. The Pina Colada Smoothie!

• Reply Stacy June 5, 2014 at 7:01 am

In addition, we throw in ground flax or chia seeds.

• Reply Rebecca B. June 5, 2014 at 7:05 am

I love me some skim milk, chocolate protein powder, ground flax, baby kale, banana, & peanut butter (or almond butter)

• Reply Larissa June 5, 2014 at 7:08 am

Orange Sunrise smoothie:
    1 cup(s) vanilla soy milk
    1 scoop vanilla whey protein
    .25 cup(s) frozen orange juice concentrate
    2 tablespoon(s) orange marmalade
    2 ice cubes

• Reply Stephanie Szwajkos June 5, 2014 at 7:08 am

This smoothie is vibrant green, fresh tasting and super healthy. Packs in the veggies you need to power you through and make your skin glow! This recipe makes enough for two, so share with someone you love and want to spend time with on this planet for a long time.

1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
    A couple handfuls of spinach – don’t be shy!
    2 leaves of kale
    1 small or 1/2 a large cucumber
    2 large stalks of celery
    1 large or 2 small Granny Smith Apples
    2 tablespoons fresh parsley leaves
    Optional: 1 cup frozen fruit of your choice (mango; pineapple; blueberries; strawberries – they all taste good) I prefer using frozen fruit over ice for the added nutrition and not to water down the flavor.
    Pour into two glasses and make a toast to your health!

• Reply Jenn Jurgiewicz June 5, 2014 at 7:09 am

Peanutbutter Banana –

1 cup vanilla yogurt
    1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
    1/3 cup almond milk
    2tbs malted milk powder
    1/2 tsp cocoa powder
    2 cups ice

• Reply Veronica June 5, 2014 at 7:10 am

My Chocolate-Cherry-Green Smoothie concoction:
    3/4 cup coconut milk or almond milk (whichever I have on hand)
    1.5 tsp chia seeds
    1 tsp maca powder
    1.5 tablespoons cacao powder
    1/2-1 scoop chocolate whey protein isolate
    2 tablespoons organic fat free sour cream (gives a little creaminess and an awesome sour taste I love! Can sub Greek yogurt)
    2 handfuls organic baby spinach
    1 cup frozen organic cherries

Yum!

• Reply Emily Hannigan June 5, 2014 at 7:10 am

My favorite smoothie is pineapple, spinach, and orange juice!

• Reply Brittany Murphy June 5, 2014 at 7:11 am

2 Scoops chocolate protein powder
    2 tablespoons peanut butter
    1 cup coffee
    ice

Tastes like a Starbucks Frap but less fat and sugar! Good source of protein and a good way to get your caffeine in.

• Reply Veronica June 5, 2014 at 7:12 am

My Chocolate-Cherry-Green Smoothie concoction:
    3/4 cup coconut milk or almond milk (whichever I have on hand)
    1.5 tsp chia seeds
    1 tsp maca powder
    1.5 tablespoons cacao powder
    1/2-1 scoop chocolate whey protein isolate
    2 handfuls organic baby spinach
    1 cup frozen organic cherries

• Reply Heather June 5, 2014 at 7:12 am

A Hawaiian is my favorite!
    Frozen banana
    Frozen pineapple
    Water
    Pineapple juice
    Vanilla protein powder

• Reply Jessica June 5, 2014 at 7:12 am

I add as many veggies as possible
    Kale
    Broccoli
    Cucumber or carrot
    Then banana
    Pb2
    Choc protien
    Flax
    Chia
    And blend

• Reply Sarah June 5, 2014 at 7:14 am

I love green smoothies. I typically do:

A handful of spinach and kale mix
    An avocado (gives it a great texture and healthy fats)
    Some frozen blueberries and mango
    A scoop of protein powder or fiber depending in what I need for the day
    Then I just add some water.

• Reply Dianne Gerth June 5, 2014 at 7:14 am

My Favorite (my 3 year old likes it too)
    1/2 cup dried gluten free oats – blend first to create a powder
    a few frozen strawberries and frozen blackberries
    half of a frozen banana
    2 tablespoons chocolate PB slim
    enough unsweetened vanilla almond milk to get everything moving.

• Reply Fawn Lawrence June 5, 2014 at 7:15 am

1 cup Plain Greek yogurt
    1 cup orange juice
    1 cup ice
    1 teaspoon vanilla

Tastes like an Ornage Julius!

• Reply Amy June 5, 2014 at 7:15 am

This is my go to smoothie recipe.
    1 banana
    A large handful of spinach
    Some fresh ginger
    1 1/2 cups of Almond milk

Blend!

• Reply Kim June 5, 2014 at 7:16 am

I am loving two big handfuls of spinach/baby kale mix, one banana and 2 tablespoons of peanut or almond butter:)

• Reply lisa s June 5, 2014 at 7:19 am

2 scoops of your fave protein powder
    1/2 frozen banana
    1tbls almond butter
    1cup almond milk
    7 ice cubes

blend and enjoy!!!

• Reply Katie June 5, 2014 at 7:21 am

My favorite “breakfast smoothie”

1/2 cup fresh blueberries
    1 medium banana
    1 cup fresh or frozen raspberries or strawberries (or a mix of both!)
    1/4 cup raw oats
    1 tablespoon of chia seeds
    1 teaspoon maple syrup (agave or honey work too)
    1/2 cup soy milk (or more depending on consistency)

• Reply alisa June 5, 2014 at 7:25 am

Two cuties/clementine oranges or a can of mandarin oranges including the syrup depending on how much smoothie you want to make
    1 banana (or 3 bananas if you use a can of mandarin oranges)
    1 cup of milk (or 2 cups if you use a can of mandarin oranges, you can also use coconut milk here)
    2 tablespoons of honey (or 5 tablespoons if you use a can of mandarin oranges)
    cinnamon, nutmeg, and turmeric to taste

• Reply Lisa Vik June 5, 2014 at 7:26 am

1 cup strawberry banana orange Crystal light
    Sprinkle in Flax Seed
    1 ripe banana
    2 cups mixed berries
    1/2 cup Fiber One
    1/2 cup oatmeal
    * use less liquid for a more frozen smoothie

• Reply Rebekah June 5, 2014 at 7:27 am

I keep my smoothies simple:

Greek yogurt + water (or undiluted regular yogurt)
    8 chunks frozen mango

Blend and enjoy (I use a ninja master prep, hand blenders work too!). For “ice cream” don’t dilute!

• Reply Naomi Suhler June 5, 2014 at 7:34 am

1 apple,
    1 celery,
    1 cup spinach or kale
    squeeze of lemon
    1 tbs ginger
    1/4 avocado
    frozen coconut milk or juice
    frozen blueberries, strawberries or banana
    1 scoop whey protein powder
    1 tbs bullet proof brain octane MCT
    blend in a vitamix
    serves two

• Reply Celia June 5, 2014 at 7:36 am

Kale
    Cucumber
    Pineapple
    Mint
    Chia sees
    Ice
    mmmmmmmmmmmm

• Reply Renee hammond June 5, 2014 at 7:39 am

Mine is usually: half a banana, blueberries, spinach, sugar free vanilla almond milk, and a scoop of Vega vanilla. Yummm! Every now and then I throw in some chia seeds.

• Reply Leilani June 5, 2014 at 7:42 am

I like to mix kale with frozen peaches and banana, using vanilla Keffer for the liquid.

• Reply Dawn Cowell June 5, 2014 at 7:47 am

1 banana, fresh or frozen
    1-2 tbsp Justin’s almond butter
    1 cup Ice
    1 1/2 cups almond milk
    Optional – 1/2 tsp almond extract

• Reply Rebecca Yoakum June 5, 2014 at 7:49 am

Crushed ice, peanut/almond butter, almond or coconut milk, banana, oats, coconut oil, honey, and spinach! Yummm

• Reply Emily June 5, 2014 at 7:52 am

Current fave for a refreshing post-run recovery smoothie:

1/2 cup coconut milk
    2 tbsp cacao powder
    1 tbsp vanilla
    2 tbsp chia seeds
    Ice to whatever consistency you prefer (I use a few handfuls)
    A drizzle of honey to sweeten, if you like

Easy, peasy.

• Reply Kristen D. June 5, 2014 at 7:52 am

My favorite smoothie recipe is:
    -4 oz non fat plain greek yogurt
    -1 frozen banana
    -A large handful of chopped kale
    -1 tsp chia seeds
    -1 scoop of vega one nutritional shake, natural flavor
    -2 oz pineapple juice
    -1/2 cup coconut water
    Blend until smooth, makes about 16oz.

• Reply Emily June 5, 2014 at 7:53 am

a refreshing post-run recovery smoothie:
    1/2 cup coconut milk
    2 tbsp cacao powder
    1 tbsp vanilla
    2 tbsp chia seeds
    Ice to whatever consistency you prefer (I use a few handfuls)
    A drizzle of honey to sweeten, if you like

Easy, peasy.

• Reply Rebecca June 5, 2014 at 7:55 am

This is one I’ve been making a lot. It is delicious and makes multiple servings.

1/2 frozen, sliced banana
    1 cup whole strawberries, fresh or frozen
    1/2 cup diced peaches, fresh or frozen
    1/2 cup oats
    1/2 cup milk of choice (I like unsweetened vanilla almond milk)
    1/2 cup water
    1 to 2 scoop vanilla protein powder (optional)

• Reply Elizabeth Sage June 5, 2014 at 7:59 am

1 ripe banana
    1 T honey
    1/4 C oatmeal
    1 T flax seed
    1/3 C plain Greek yogurt
    Handful of baby spinich
    1/2 C frozen mixed berries
    1/3 C orange juice
    Additional water if necessary
    Blend and share with my 3 year old son!

• Reply Gina Kibler June 5, 2014 at 7:59 am

My favorite smoothie combo is: pineapple, oj, banana and yogurt… Yum! 🙂

• Reply Jeanette June 5, 2014 at 7:59 am

1/2 banana
    9 strawberries
    1 cup of plain Greek yogurt
    1 ccp orange juice (squeezed )
    1 tbs hemp protein
    1 tbs flax seeds

Blend in a ninja blender it would be so smooth and tasty.

• Reply Kelly Bruning June 5, 2014 at 8:01 am

Apple juice or Kefir
    Frozen strawberries
    Frozen Mango
    1 cup Spinach
    Kale

• Reply Stefanie Baker June 5, 2014 at 8:03 am

I love spinach, frozen banana, almond or peanut butter, coconut oil, coconut or almond milk, and chia and flax seeds!

• Reply Carrie June 5, 2014 at 8:03 am

My favorite smoothie recipe as of late:

1/2 cup plain kefir
    1 cup water
    2 big handfuls of mixed greens (spinach, kake, carrots – organic mix)
    1 serving vanilla protein powder (optional)
    1/2 teaspoon spirulina (don’t get thrown off by the smell)
    1 tablespoon maca powder
    1/2 cup frozen blueberries
    1/2 cup frozen mango (soooo good!)

Blend and enjoy!

• Reply Nicole Skoge June 5, 2014 at 8:04 am

My favorite smoothie is simple: mix
    Plain yogurt
    A little club soda
    A little orange juice
    Strawberries
    Bananas
    Baby spinach
    Other berries if you like- raspberries, blackberries, etc
    And some ice.
    Delish!!

• Reply Cindy June 5, 2014 at 8:08 am

I have lots of favorites, I usually use up what I have in the frig first but my go to one is kale, 1/2 apple or pear, handful of berries (usually blueberries), carrot, cucumber, cran juice, chai seeds, and granola.

• Reply Lora Cole June 5, 2014 at 8:11 am

Kale or spinach with berries or peaches and a little coconut milk

• Reply Norma Ortiz June 5, 2014 at 8:14 am

I use my Vitamix for this healthy smoothie; 1c. Ice, 1c. Vanilla Greek yogurt, 1c. Vanilla coconut milk, 1 small apple, 2tbs oatmeal, 1 half banana, 2tsp raw honey. Delicious! Enjoy

• Reply Melissa D. June 5, 2014 at 8:14 am

I love using powdered peanut butter and/or cocoa powder in my smoothie if I am wanting something more decadent tasting. With strawberries and vanilla Greek yogurt, it makes me feel like I’m eating dessert!

• Reply Meghan June 5, 2014 at 8:16 am

Kale, chia seeds, mango, strawberry, splash of orange juice and almond milk!

• Reply Katie Suchland June 5, 2014 at 8:16 am

Lately, I’ve been enjoying this little number:

1 Banana (frozen bananas work great)
    1/3 cup of coconut milk
    1/2 cup of pineapple chunks
    1/2 cup of blueberries
    Few ice cubes
    Add water to get desired consistency
    Optional: I’ve been adding a scoop of protein powder, keeps me focussed and clear headed all morning (I like vanilla unsweetened Spiru-tein or Chocolate RAW Protein). Also, throw in some spinach for a little extra nutrition boost.

Blend it up and enjoy!

• Reply Rachel Garrity June 5, 2014 at 8:17 am

Vanilla flavored almond milk
    2 handfuls of spinach or kale
    1 handful of baby carrots
    Handful of pineapple or mango
    Half of an apple
    Handful of frozen blueberries
    Spoonful of chia seeds

• Reply Lynn Trumbul June 5, 2014 at 8:19 am

Cheesecake Smoothie…..but tastes like vanilla cake batter!

1 cup cottage cheese
    1 cup nonfat milk
    1 scoop vanilla protein powder
    2 tablespoons sugar free cheesecake pudding mix
    tsp. vanilla extract
    6 ice cubes
    stevia or whichever sugar substitute you like and add to taste.

Enjoy!

• Reply Lauren June 5, 2014 at 8:23 am

Favorite right now:
    Coconut cream
    Ice cubes
    Strawberries
    Spinach
    Ground flax seed

• Reply Ashley June 5, 2014 at 8:23 am

My favorite smoothie brings back childhood memories of PB and J’s. generously add frozen raspberries, 1 heaping tablespoon of peanut butter, chocolate protein powder and vanilla almond milk. It’s perfect for a pool side treat or post workout recovery.

• Reply Melissa Chrisman June 5, 2014 at 8:23 am

I love smoothies! I do all kinds with kale and spinach. My favorite, though, is my “healthy” version of this summertime smoothie:

1 cup almond/coconut milk (45 cals)
    2 tbsp PB2 (45 cals)
    1 serving frozen mixed berries (80 cals)
    1 serving muscle tech platinum whey milk choc supreme flavor (130 cals)
    Add water for consistency if needed

Total= 300 cals for a peanut butter, chocolate, coconut, and berry flavor. Yummmmmm

• Reply Ann Werner June 5, 2014 at 8:24 am

I take the opportunity to add super foods like turmeric and cumin to my smoothies. It’s a great way to make sure you get those items in your diet!

• Reply Brielle Bluth June 5, 2014 at 8:26 am

I love smoothies! Especially during the summer when it is so hot here in AZ! I typically like more tropical flavors so one I make a lot is coconut milk or almond milk, baby spinach, chia seeds, granola, Greek yogurt, frozen banana, frozen peaches, frozen pineapple and a small amount of ice.

• Reply Laurie June 5, 2014 at 8:27 am

I try and have a smoothie for lunch each day….
    Typically, it consists of Almond milk, frozen blueberries, peaches, strawberries, ground flax seed, spinach or kale and a scoop of Protein powder! It is so refreshing and a great pick me up!

• Reply Jen Knox June 5, 2014 at 8:28 am

Strawberry Banana!
    Almond milk, strawberries, one banana, ice, a bit of honey, and sneak in some greens. Yum!

• Reply Jessica June 5, 2014 at 8:29 am

One of my go-to smoothies: 1 cup spinach, 1 cup coconut water, 1/2 cup mango (frozen or fresh), 1/2 cup pineapple (frozen or fresh), 1/2 banana and 1 T chia seeds. It is great to throw in a few basil or mint leaves if I have them on hand too.

• Reply Laura June 5, 2014 at 8:29 am

Amy smoothie will do for me 🙂 Typically I use coconut milk, carrot, kale/spinach, purple cabbage, any frozen fruit on hand and chia seeds.

• Reply Diana June 5, 2014 at 8:32 am

I like to make sure my muscles are building even when I’m cutting up, so a protein smoothie is a necessity for me.

I start with about 1/3 cup of raw milk, add 1/4 cup of Fage greek yogurt 0%, a tablespoon of chia seeds, and a scoop of low-carb whey protein. The fruits are whatever is in season – strawberries right now.

• Reply Julie June 5, 2014 at 8:35 am

My favorite, as well as my 16 & 13 yr. old boys’: spinach, plain Greek yogurt, frozen blackberries (we pick and freeze lots of these each summer), a frozen banana, chia seeds and a splash of OJ. Delish!

• Reply Kiera E June 5, 2014 at 8:41 am

I love any smoothie with nut butter and spinach. I used PB2 since the powder form blends just like a protein powder!

• Reply Julie June 5, 2014 at 8:57 am

Green Smoothie!
    4 cups spinach
    1 cup water
    1 green apples
    Squeeze of half a lemon

• Reply Tracy June 5, 2014 at 9:01 am

~1 cup of almond milk
    ~2 cups of spinach
    ~1 frozen banana
    ~1/4 cup of blueberries
    ~1 T of natural peanut butter (or substitute with PB2/almond butter/sun butter/etc)
    ~1 scoop of protein powder* (optional)

• Reply Meghan O June 5, 2014 at 9:05 am

One of my FAVE green smoothies is:

8 oz. almond milk
    1 scoop all natural vanilla protein powder (I really love Tone it Up’s PerfectFit)
    1c frozen peaches
    1-2c kale or baby spinach
    1/2 banana
    1 tbsp flax or chia seeds

*Blend all together and pour into glass. Garnish with 1-2tb organic coconut flakes.
    Delicious! 🙂

• Reply Kelley June 5, 2014 at 9:08 am

Almond milk/coconut milk blend
    Handful of kale
    Frozen spinach
    Frozen berries
    Mango
    Add coconut water to thin if necessary
    Enjoy!!

• Reply Elizabeth M June 5, 2014 at 9:10 am

The best thing that ever happened to me regarding smoothies is finding out a mason jar screws right into the blender. Perfect individual smoothie size! Then I add orange juice, plain yogurt, frozen banana, and some sort of mixture of frozen raspberries, blueberries, and/or strawberries. A delicious treat is grape juice (which I also think would mask the greens taste!)

• Reply Amy Wheeler June 5, 2014 at 9:15 am

Handful of frozen berries
    One scoop of vanilla protein powder
    1 tsp spirulina powder
    1 c. unsweetened almond milk

• Reply Ann Howells June 5, 2014 at 9:23 am

It just got HOT in south TX!! So I’m lovin’…. 2% plain greek yogurt, raw honey, mixed berries, extra blue berries, vanilla protein powder and lots of ice!!

• Reply Kim Janowski June 5, 2014 at 9:29 am

One of my favorite smoothies I also make into ice pops for the little ones: 1/2 an avocado, handful of spinach, 1 banana, 1 cup of frozen tropical fruit, 1tbls chia seeds, 1/4 cup of yogurt and water.

• Reply MISV June 5, 2014 at 9:34 am

Love smoothies, 2 of my faves:

1 banana + 1 cup frozen mango + handful of baby spinach + almond milk + coconut oil + flax and chia seeds

1 banana + 1 cup frozen strawberries + almond milk + raw cacao powder

• Reply Beth P June 5, 2014 at 9:40 am

I’ve just started experimenting with adding greens and this is the best I’ve made so far:

plain yogurt
    frozen kale
    frozen mango
    fresh peaches

• Reply Rachael Stone June 5, 2014 at 9:43 am

My summer favorite:
    Almond milk -unsweetened
    Kale
    Kiwi
    Frozen blueberries
    Plain yogurt
    Ground flax

• Reply Jennifer Cseplo June 5, 2014 at 9:55 am

My go to smoothie is 1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk, 1 cup mixed berries, 1/2 cup plain yogurt (I freeze mine in ice cube trays), handful of spinach & a teaspoon of flax seeds.

• Reply Kelly Burke June 5, 2014 at 9:59 am

My favorite smoothie consists of 1 frozen banana, 1/4 cup of frozen wild berries (Kirkland brand) 1/4 cup chia seeds, 6 oz of Greek vanilla yogurt & ice.

• Reply Jennifer Guillory June 5, 2014 at 10:06 am

I like this smoothie that happened by accident.

1/2 cup almond milk

• Reply Kathleen June 5, 2014 at 10:18 am

1 cup spinach
    I T flax seed meal
    1cup coconut milk
    1 cup mixed frozen fruit-raspberries, blueberries, cherries, etc

• Reply laurabeth cadoret June 5, 2014 at 10:32 am

I just started making smoothies in the morning. I love how much more energy I have. I do super simple bananas, frozen mixed berries, greek yogurt, a little juice, and my probiotic multivitamin. Mmmmm.

• Reply Anna Willard June 5, 2014 at 10:35 am

I love starting my day off with this Green Smoothie:

1 stock of Kale
    1 cup Spinach
    1-2 slices Ginger
    1/2 cup Cucumber and/or 2-3 stocks Celery
    1/2 cup of Green Grapes or 1 full Kiwi
    1/2 cup of water of coconut water

Sometimes I will add flaxseeds, or Vega protein powered.

• Reply Rachel Barnett June 5, 2014 at 10:37 am

1 tbls PB2
    2 scoops visalus shake mix
    1 scoop Optimum Nutrition chocolate protein powder
    1 tbls Walden Farms no calorie chocolate syrup
    8 oz almond milk

• Reply Michelle St. Ours June 5, 2014 at 10:38 am

My go-to smoothie is:

1/2 cup almond milk
    1-2 handfuls baby spinach
    I scoop chocolate protein powder (I use isopure)
    1/2 cup frozen mixed berries
    Chia seeds

Sometimes I add a spoonful of peanut butter.

• Reply Sarah S. June 5, 2014 at 10:53 am

I can’t remember where I found this recipe but it’s different and very refreshing.

1 grapefruit
    1 banana
    1 cup frozen strawberries (or other berries)
    cold orange juice

• Reply Katie June 5, 2014 at 11:07 am

My favorite is spinach, unsweetened almond milk, frozen cherries, iced coffee, and chocolate protein powder!!

• Reply Brooke June 5, 2014 at 11:13 am

My favorite smoothie is super easy!
    In my ninja blender I start dumping ingredients. 🙂
    1 cup fresh chopped rhubarb
    1 cup frozen strawberries
    1 cup frozen blue berries
    1 cup frozen blended kale from previous years garden
    2 bananas
    1/2 cup vanilla yogurt
    Add enough water so it will blend.
    Absolutely delicious and you will love the rhubarb and kale!

• Reply Krissy June 5, 2014 at 11:24 am

Every morning, before my workout, I made a shake. Generally it consists of choc. veggie protein powder, kale or spinach, chia seeds and water. Sometimes I might add a banana or use almond milk or even some peanut or almond butter. Whatever the mood calls for!

• Reply Karin June 5, 2014 at 11:32 am

My daily smoothie is spinach, a scoop of vanilla protein, 1T almonds, 1T chia seeds, 1/4 cup oats, 1 cup fruit (usually a mix of bananas, raspberries and cherries) and 3/4-1 cup unsweetened almond milk. Yum!

• Reply Andrea June 5, 2014 at 11:39 am

Frozen banana
    Mango
    Flax seed
    Almond milk
    Spinach/ or kale

• Reply Anne Moore June 5, 2014 at 11:52 am

Spinach, tropical fruit blend, green plant juice, water, chia seeds and vanilla protein powder.

• Reply Selma Smith June 5, 2014 at 11:58 am

A simple but delicious no fail smoothie for me is a handful of spinach, frozen banana, fresh pineapple and a scoop of Vega protein powder and filtered water!

• Reply Eugenia June 5, 2014 at 12:01 pm

My recipe for success:

A splash of almond milk
    2 stalks of kale
    1/2 a carrot
    1/2 an apple
    1 handful of frozen peach slices
    1 handful of frozen strawberries
    1 banana (here in Kauai we have apple bananas that are smaller than “regular” bananas)
    1 spoonful of chia seeds

I like to mix one ingredient at a time, cause my blender isn’t the strongest of them all.
    Mix & enjoy!

• Reply Marta June 5, 2014 at 12:27 pm

2 handfuls of baby spinach
    1 med banana
    1/2 cup frozen blueberries
    1 cup frozen strawberries
    splash of oj

• Reply Lee June 5, 2014 at 12:32 pm

1 Frozen banana
    1/4 cup of peanut butter
    1 scoop ground flax seed
    dash of cinnamon
    1-2 TBS cocoa powder
    Almond milk (or Almond/Coconut blend) until desired consistency.

– This is so yummy right after a workout! Sometimes I will add protein powder for extra recovery 🙂

• Reply Tracy Collings June 5, 2014 at 12:35 pm

My favorite smoothie is a frozen banana, a big handful of fresh spinach leaves, about a cup of fresh pineapple and enough pineapple juice to blend to the right consistency!

• Reply Abby June 5, 2014 at 12:39 pm

I add spinach or kale to every smoothie I make. It is such an easy way to get a good dose of veggies!
    One of my current favorite smoothies is:
    -1 scoop of chocolate protein powder
    – 1 frozen banana
    – peanut butter
    -spinach
    – ice
    – milk of your choice

Blend and enjoy!

Sometimes I add flax seed or chia seeds.

• Reply Colleen June 5, 2014 at 12:44 pm

My go-to, coconut milk, spinach, frozen banana, chia seeds and almond butter!

• Reply Theresa Mckean June 5, 2014 at 1:07 pm

I love to blend together coconut water
    1 scoop of peanut butter
    1 scoop of vanilla whey
    1 cup of raspberries
    1 cup of yogurt
    Crushed ice

• Reply Angela June 5, 2014 at 1:12 pm

My kids love smoothies with blueberries, strawberries & organic yogurt.

• Reply Laurie Ann June 5, 2014 at 1:16 pm

Chocolate coconut almond butter smoothie

1 cup Unsweetened Organic Soymilk or almond milk

20g chocolate protein powder

1 tsp almond nut butter

cinnamon (use amount desired)

ice

Blend above until smooth

At end pulse in:

1 1/2 tsp unsweetened organic coconut

1/2 cup whole grain oats

Yum! 🙂

• Reply sandra June 5, 2014 at 1:33 pm

My “I feel virtuous” smoothie….
    a handful or two of kale
    water to blend
    1/2 cup or so of frozen wild blueberries
    1/2 frozen banana
    handful of mint leaves in summer or big dash of cinnamon in winter
    ice, if needed..

• Reply Danielle June 5, 2014 at 1:34 pm

I drink smoothies at least a couple times a week. I like to use frozen strawberries and blueberries, a fresh banana, soy milk, vanilla flavored greek yogurt, a dollop of low fat peanut butter and ice – blend it really good and enjoy.

• Reply Kris T June 5, 2014 at 1:40 pm

Almond milk
    Banana
    3-4 strawberries
    1 T peanut butter
    2t chia seeds

• Reply Meg June 5, 2014 at 1:41 pm

frosted miniwheats- almond milk- sugar free cinnamon dolce syrup. Ice
    Simple. Delish.

• Reply Paula Evans June 5, 2014 at 2:07 pm

My quick easy smoothy is just sweet and chocolate-y enough to satisfying sweet cravings :

Almond milk
    Unsweetened cocoa powder
    Frozen raspberries

• Reply Rachel LaVoie June 5, 2014 at 2:12 pm

Wow these all sound delicious. Can’t wait to try!! Thanks for sharing.

• Reply Cori June 5, 2014 at 3:02 pm

Here is my vitamix smoothie recipie that i drink every morning. 1 banana, almond milk, handful of organic spinach or kale, handful of frozen mangos, one frozen acai pack, heading spoon of chia seeds, and scoop of hormone-free whey powder for protein. Powers me through the day with great energy. And I buy all the ingredients at Costco (except the whey), so it’s easy to replenish my pantry.

• Reply Cori June 5, 2014 at 3:02 pm

Here is my vitamix smoothie recipie that i drink every morning. 1 banana, almond milk, handful of organic spinach or kale, handful of frozen mangos, one frozen acai pack, heading spoon of chia seeds, and scoop of hormone-free whey powder for protein.And I buy all the ingredients at Costco (except the whey), so it’s easy to replenish my pantry.

• Reply Amy June 5, 2014 at 3:13 pm

Half cup frozen unsweetened cherries, handful blueberries, scoop chocolate protein powder, 1/2 avocado, water and ice. Delish!

• Reply Norma June 5, 2014 at 3:28 pm

My Favorite would be:
    1 1/2 bananas (frozen)
    1 cup almond milk
    1 table spoon peanut butter
    1 teaspoon honey
    whey protein (vanilla)

• Reply Amy Horst June 5, 2014 at 3:37 pm

My go to smoothie is strawberries, pineapple, spinach, vanilla protein powder and coconut water…

• Reply Erica June 5, 2014 at 3:45 pm

My favorite smoothie is:
    8oz. plain almond milk
    1/2-1 banana (fresh or frozen)
    1T flax
    1T chia
    Arbonne Digestive Plus (probiotic)
    1T fiber powder
    1-2 scoops Arbonne Vegan Chocolate Protein Powder
    Large Handful of baby spinach
    1T Almond Butter

YUM-O!! Tastes like a PB chocolate milkshake!

• Reply Heidi June 5, 2014 at 4:14 pm

Steamed and peeled sweet potato, mango, chia seed, fresh or frozen greens and coconut cream.

I also love strawberries, peaches , spinach, and some plain whole fat yogurt.

• Reply Kendra June 5, 2014 at 5:04 pm

Cup of spinach -frozen mango,black berries and strAwberries and Greek yogurt

• Reply Amy June 5, 2014 at 5:05 pm

Kale
    Parsley
    Peeled, cored Granny Smith apple
    Frozen banana
    Water and OJ

• Reply Marian Courie June 5, 2014 at 5:09 pm

My daily smoothie is spinach, cilantro, apple cider vinegar and apple cider. Delicious!

• Reply Amy June 5, 2014 at 5:24 pm

I love frozen bananas, almond milk, and espresso. It tastes like a frappucino!

• Reply Karen Sechowski June 5, 2014 at 5:37 pm

Smoothies are a great way to fit your fruits and vegetables in your diet, and you can really toss any combination together for an easy, on-the-go drink.

My favorite smoothie recipe:
    1 banana
    1 cup berries (blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, blackberries)
    1 cup skim milk
    1/2 cup orange juice
    1 Tbsp flax seeds
    1 cup spinach

Blend and enjoy!

• Reply Tara June 5, 2014 at 5:43 pm

Almond milk, vanilla Greek yogurt, frozen strawberries, a sprinkle of oats, and peanut butter.

• Reply Julie Young June 5, 2014 at 5:52 pm

greens (spinach or kale typically)
    oatmeal
    peanut butter
    ice
    milk or yogurt
    fruit (blueberries are yummy in this mix)
    chia and/or flax seeds
    YUMMY!

• Reply Tina Smith June 5, 2014 at 6:11 pm

I use orange juice, frozen blueberries and strawberries, a banana, chia seeds, ground flax seeds and spinach. Yummy!

• Reply jane Murray June 5, 2014 at 6:37 pm

Strawberries, blueberries, banana, kale, yogurt, water

• Reply Kelly June 5, 2014 at 6:41 pm

Every morning, my go to smoothie recipe =)

1 cup almond milk
    Dash cinnamon
    1 heaping tablespoon almond butter
    2 handfuls kale
    1/2 – 1 cup frozen pineapple (depending on how sweet you like your smoothies)
    Optional – sometimes add either a peach (in season) or handful of grapes
    Small handful of ice cubes

Enjoy!!

• Reply Susan Arnold June 5, 2014 at 6:46 pm

1cup kefir. Frozen pineapple that I bought fresh and froze myself. Fresh strawberry and/or blueberry. Simple for me.

• Reply Sarah June 5, 2014 at 6:46 pm

Almond milk + banana + kale + cucumber + ginger + green apple

• Reply Claire June 5, 2014 at 6:59 pm

My go to smoothie is:

1 small banana, frozen and broken into chunks
    ~1 cup dark chocolate almond milk
    1 scoop chocolate protein powder (optional)
    1 spoonful almond or peanut butter

• Reply Amber Koehler June 5, 2014 at 7:00 pm

My favorite smoothie recipe is
    Almond milk
    Banana
    Blueberries
    Spinach
    Avocado
    Chia seeds
    Ice
    Yummy!!

• Reply Tessa June 5, 2014 at 7:39 pm

My favorite lately is frozen banana, chocolate protein powder, almond milk, ice, brewed coffee. Yum!

• Reply Patty June 5, 2014 at 8:21 pm

I love this one.
    Ingredients:
    ½ cup plain Kefir
    ½ cup blueberries (freeze beforehand if you have time)
    ½ cup unsweetened pomegranate juice
    ½ or whole banana (freeze beforehand if you have time)
    ½ cup ice cubes (more or less depending on preference)
    Add ½ tsp flax, chia, walnuts or anything you like!

Blend all and enjoy!

• Reply stephanie June 5, 2014 at 8:34 pm

i enjoy:
    handful of greens
    fresh carrot juice
    scoop of unsweetened cocoa powder
    1 c frozen pineapple
    1/2 c frozen mango
    1/8c soaked/dehydrated almonds
    fresh squeezed OJ

• Reply Kristina Giliberto June 5, 2014 at 8:34 pm

I never measure my ingredients- just go by look. One of my favorites for summer is really simple:
    Watermelon is the star!!
    Squeeze of Lemon
    Fresh mint from garden
    Spoonful of honey

• Reply Christie Barker June 5, 2014 at 8:36 pm

My faaaaaaave is 1 scoop chocolate Shakeology, 1/2 banana, 1/2 Tblsp all natural PB, 4 oz water, 4 oz of almond milk and ice blended, YUM!!!

• Reply Kris O'Brien June 5, 2014 at 8:43 pm

1/2 ripe avocado
    1/2 mango
    1/2 banana
    Juice of one small lime with 1/4 tsp lime zest
    Splash of orange juice

• Reply Marisa Deutsch June 5, 2014 at 9:26 pm

My favorite smoothie is simple and a great way to get going in the morning…

1/2 cup of blueberries (frozen or fresh)
    1/2 cup blackberries
    1 cup almond milk
    1 cup greek yogurt
    handful of ice

• Reply Melisa June 6, 2014 at 4:53 am

I like to blend up kale, 1/2 small banana, kiwi, mango, pineapple, chia seeds, keifer, and water

• Reply Deb June 6, 2014 at 6:38 am

My go to smoothie is this Berry Chia Shake. It’s delicious! http://www.passthefresh.com/2014/01/berry-chia-shake.html

• Reply Naomi Malts June 6, 2014 at 7:09 am

My favorite way to start my day is with my Java Monkey Power Smoothie!

1-1 1/2 cups unsweetened vanilla almond milk
    1 serving dry instant coffee
    1 scoop chocolate protein powder
    1 frozen banana
    1-2 handfuls of baby spinach
    1 scoop powdered greens (I prefer wheat grass or a greens with wheat grass)
    4 ice cubes

*I also like to add 1/2 an avocado or 1 small scoop of cashew butter for added creamy deliciousness!

I blend the almond milk and spinach together first so that the spinach is pulverized.
    Then I add my powders and blend a few seconds before adding my frozen ingredients.
    It gives me a boost of energy and tastes soooooo delicious you will think it is bad for you!

• Reply Amy June 6, 2014 at 7:20 am

My go to, 1 cup Greek yogurt
    1 cup juice, 1 banana, 1 cup frozen berries, handful of baby spinach, and a cup of ice.

• Reply Allie June 6, 2014 at 8:03 am

1 c. unsweetened vanilla almond milk, 1 scoop chocolate whey protein, 1 frozen banana, 2 tbsp. almond butter, and handful of ice cubes….DELICIOUS!!!!

• Reply Lynn Newcomb June 6, 2014 at 8:17 am

I have been making the same protein smoothie for over 20 years and have it EVERY day for breakfast, even when I am away from home. Here is my recipe:

1 -2 scoops Natural Whey Protein Powder
    1 scoop Amazing Greens powder
    1 teap 3-6-9 oil blend
    1 large banana
    1 tbsp natural peanut butter
    whole milk
    ice cubes

Blend all together. This is like adding premium gasoline to your car. Try it – you will love it!

Cheers!

• Reply Christie June 6, 2014 at 10:38 am

I just started adding frozen bananas to smoothies and love the texture! My go-to recipe is 1/2 frozen banana, 1 cup almond milk, a handful of spinach and flaxseed. So tasty!

• Reply Kristen June 6, 2014 at 11:07 am

I don’t like bananas, so I prefer to use avocado as a thickener in my smoothies! A great combo is: a bunch of kale, 1/2 an avocado, a handful of strawberries, a touch of agave, and ice!

• Reply Amanda June 6, 2014 at 11:21 am

I love the combination of raspberries & celery: 1c. Unsweetened almond milk, 1 scoop vanilla protein powder, 1 stalk celery, handful of spinach, 1 small apricot or 1/2 nectarine & 1/2c frozen raspberries.

• Reply Penelope St. James June 6, 2014 at 11:32 am

Spinach! Plus bananas! Add blueberries! And ginger! What about some cayenne? Sure! Finally… some stevia! Blend! Pour! Drink! Enjoy!

• Reply Lauren Levy June 6, 2014 at 6:39 pm

1/2 cup of water
    1 handful of spinach
    1 Kiwi
    About half cup of watermelon (1 wedge)
    1 small to medium sized ginger (to taste)
    Some mint
    2 tablespoon hemp seeds

Very refreshing and tasty!!

• Reply Courtney F June 9, 2014 at 6:12 am

I try to keep smoothies simple and nutritious … banana, spinach, homemade almond milk, greek yogurt, ice, cinnamon, and homemade almond butter (or homemade nutella, if I’m feeling naughty :o)

• Reply Erika August 18, 2014 at 1:22 pm

Does anyone know if a hand/stick blender (mine is a Cuisinart) can handle raw veggies and greens? It does fine with soft fruit, but I don’t wnat to break it by blending more than it can deal with. I really want to try green smoothies but can’t budget for new equipment right now.

• Reply Christine @ Love, Life, Surf August 18, 2014 at 4:03 pm

Hi Erika,
    I’m not positive about how a hand/stick blender would handle raw veggies but my hunch is that it would probably be OK with something like baby spinach (may be a little chunky) but I would be careful with more hearty veggies like carrots or even fruit like apples. Hope that helps!

• Reply เมล็ดเจีย December 30, 2015 at 10:26 am

Thanks for sharing your thoughts about dr o chia seeds.
    Regards
    77d3a1dabc2c4f648d68cbe23a1b144a

• Reply plasterer bristol April 13, 2016 at 8:53 am

Hmm this looks so refreshing, will have to give this a go. Thanks for sharing.

Simon