ABCs of Safety
Most people are good people, but sometimes bad things happen to good people by bad people. Knowing basic self-defense can save you when no one else can. Wearing a seat belt saves lives. We don’t get into an accident every day, but we wear seat belts just in case. We could be the safest drivers in the world, but other people aren’t.
The most powerful weapon you have is your brain. So, let’s train our brains to know how to protect ourselves. I’ m going to focus on basic safety moves, especially for the active Athleta gal. It doesn’t matter how strong and fit you are, everyone needs to know basic safety. Just being athletic doesn’t automatically make you invincible.
Let’s start off with some basic safety tips:
- Any environment can be potentially dangerous. If there are no support people, you are at a higher risk of being a target. Support people see what’s happening and can call for help. Staying where there are support people gives a potential attacker something he doesn’t want: witnesses.
- Don’t disable the senses that are most likely to alert you to danger–your hearing and vision. Don’t wear ear buds or talk or text on your phone. The more focused you are on your phone, the less attention you have on your surroundings.
- Pay attention to your surroundings. Use your peripheral vision as you jog/walk, act the same way as you do driving your car. Most of the time, your eyes are forward, but you also check behind you, and to the sides.
- If you believe someone is following you, or just gives you a bad feeling, you need to trust your instinct. Keep your distance and get to where people are. If you’re jogging, flag down a passing car and ask for the time.
The A-B-Cs of Safety
- Awareness: Be aware of everything, not just strangers.
- Boundary Setting: Minimum safe distance for adults is roughly six to seven feet. Most attacks are preceded by dialogue. The attacker just walks right up to you and engages you in conversation. This is called the “interview process.” He’s trying to determine if you would be a good victim and he closes the distance. Remember, “No” means “No.” YOU control the situation. Once you’ve said “No,” or “I can’t help you,” or “I’m not interested,” the conversation is over. A good person will respect your answer, and not pressure you again.
Some Typical Lures:
“Can you help me find my dog?”
“Do you know how to get to…?”
“Can I give you some help…?”
“Can you help me…?”
“Can I give you a ride?”
“GET in the car!” This is the most dangerous situation, as most people taken in cars, don’t come back.
Most attempted assaults can be de-escalated by verbal intervention only. Putting your hands up to show “STOP” and saying “STOP,” lets the attacker know you are serious. If they don’t back away the first time, you say it again, louder, louder, and LOUDER!
- Combat: Use simple strikes that will hurt anyone, no matter how big or strong they are. Eye strikes, palm strikes to the nose, knees to the groin, slaps to the groin, and elbows, are simple and powerful. Your goal is to STUN and RUN.
Here’s another common safety “trick” many self-defense instructors teach: What should you do if someone does grab you? Just yell “FIRE,” so that people will come running because they’re worried about their own property catching on fire. Another action would be to tell everyone what exactly is happening. People don’t like to get involved in domestic disputes, so yelling “Help, I don’t know him,” and then pointing to someone and saying “YOU, get help,” gets people involved, much like when you learn CPR. The first thing is check the scene and then appoint someone to call 9-1-1.
To summarize, 90% of the time awareness will keep you safe. The remaining 10% of the time, when awareness fails, seven out of those ten times strong body language and strong verbal boundary setting will protect you. Only the remaining three times out of 100 should you have to resort to combat if you follow these guidelines.
You might also like
Our new Up For Anything Tight was designed specifically to help you take on new challenges. With a no-flip waistband and 360-degree stretch, it’s the perfect garment for your next heart-pounding endeavor. But if you slip on a pair of tights and need some help determining what that adventure is, the flow chart below will…
It’s been over three years since the #1 New York Times best-selling book The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing came out, but people around the world are still discovering it, and swearing by the methods author Marie Kondo shares. If you’re not familiar with the book (we recommend…
Last year we set some aggressive sustainability goals for 2020, and while are are still a few years off we want to show how easy it is to lessen our impact on the environment. Yoga instructor and Athleta Partner Jules Hunt of the lifestyle blog Om And The City shares her easy ways to live sustainably and…