Teach a Child, Learn Like a Child
On a recent trip while teaching at South Africa Yoga, my hosts and I were visiting some local daycare centers that we were doing some work with. Some of the schools were made out of old tractor trailers, and some were made from sheet metal. I remember how impressed I was that the community had come together and made such nice, clean facilities for the children given their limited resources. They had a need in their community, and took actions to see a solution was put into place… brilliant!
Something that was also very memorable to me was a simple sign made out of construction paper posted on the wall inside the first school we visited. It was a list of ten rules and was entitled Teach the Children. When I read it I thought, “This isn’t just for children, this is for all of us!”
- Love your parents, brothers, sisters and grandparents.
- Respect your elders.
- Look after the animals, the land and every living thing.
- Appreciate what you have. Do not be greedy. Do not take what does not belong to you.
- Be proud of who you are. Leave a legacy other people would love to find.
- As you journey through life, live each day as if it was the last. Don’t allow obstacles to block your journey.
- Knowledge is power. Never stop searching for the answers.
- Educate yourself every day. It will give you the freedom to be who you want to be.
- Beware of strangers.
- Follow your dream and never give up!
Ten simple rules for us all to live by as taught to me by the children of South Africa… brilliant!