Healthy Inspiration Nutrition

Taking an Honest Look

September 9, 2010

Sometimes we just have to take two steps back and take a good, honest look at ourselves, whether it is an inner investigation or a good look in the mirror. So, yes, I am an Athleta athlete. I consider it an honor to be able to communicate with the Athleta community. I am a multisport athlete, but since my severe ski accident in January 2009, I have been able to bike, swim, hike, kayak and ski, but not with the intensity to which I am accustomed.

But, somehow I continued to eat as if I was still working out as usual. Hmmm? I noticed after a year or so, that some of my clothes weren’t really fitting the way they usually did, but it wasn’t “that bad.” Then we went to Italy for a month. Yes, we were biking almost daily, but not “hammering,” as we would have been typically doing. Still, I was enjoying the local cuisine, without a thought. (OK, I had a few thoughts, but pushed them to the back of my mind.)

So, when I got home I got on the scale. Wake up and smell the pounds! Back in 1977 I used Weight Watchers to lose 30 lbs, so I knew it worked. That weigh-in was at the end of June. Today (Sept 6) I have lost 13 lbs with a couple more to go. I feel great and the weight loss should make running on my busted-up leg a whole lot more possible.

So, weight loss was really about being honest and taking a good look at myself. I didn’t like what I saw and decided to do something about it. And frankly, I am really proud of that honesty. Another piece of honesty about dieting, and changing the basic way that you eat, is portion control. I like the phrase, “If you bite it, you write it.” Keep a food log. Write down EVERYTHING you eat. After all, the balance between calorie intake and energy output equals either weight gain or weight loss.

The only downside of this is that many of my older Athleta clothes are too big for me now. Oh darn, got to go shopping again!

• Reply Katie September 9, 2010 at 3:38 pm

Great article Mary!

Make Al buy you new pants! 🙂

• Reply Linda September 9, 2010 at 6:22 pm

I switched from dinner plates to sald size plates. Really helps with the portion control

• Reply Katie September 9, 2010 at 6:42 pm

Loved the article and I totally agree! However, there are many websites that make food intake and calorie counting easier than writing in a log. I used a similar method this spring to take off my blizzard weight I gained! (Ate WAY too much while snowed in. . .)

• Reply Jen September 10, 2010 at 5:32 am

What a timely article! I’m mainly a distance runner but recently entered the world of tris and love it. This morning, I decided to dedicate one workout per week to yoga and core-apecifics to step up and lose my trouble spot – swimming has tuned up the obliques but no amount of running gets rid of the lower-ab mommy “pudge”!

Being aware of portion sizing and the quality of your diet, in my opinion, is 75% of the battle. Prepare your meals in advance and stick to it – that feeling of pride when you reach your goal is so worth it all!

It is so important to do a personal “check in” with 100% honesty to set new diet & fitness goals and to keep from the dreaded fitness plateau – or worse – gain. If you need motivation, buddy up and be accountable to a friend/fitness partner. It does work.

Have a great weekend everyone.

• Reply Jennifer September 12, 2010 at 11:16 am

Great article.

Can you provide some of those websites?

• Reply Serenity September 13, 2010 at 6:37 pm

To possess and practice consistency, discipline, as well as balance is the ongoing challenge. Congratulations on your victory. It was a good reminder, as I move into a maintenance phase before training starts again in a month. To focus.

• Reply Kristin September 22, 2010 at 12:30 pm

Jennifer, I’m not sure of the specific websites that Katie was referring to, but I’ve used for a few years and really like it. Hope that helps! 🙂