Nutrition

Workout Recovery Nutrition

March 24, 2010

Aimee GalloPiggybacking off of Mary’s fabulous Fueling Your Goals article, I want to delve deeper into each aspect of fueling…

Let’s begin with the end, as everything we do is about how well we recover. Our athletic gains from training come from recovery. It’s the quieter background time that is easiest to overlook until we are exhausted, injured, or too cranky to function. By that point, we often overlook that our food may be the cause of our woes.

After we exercise, we have a beautiful window of opportunity. Literally referred to as the glycogen window, this span of time exists between the minute our workout ends until about 30-45 minutes later. Glycogen is the stored form of carbohydrate. It is predominantly located in our muscles and liver and is utilized during all aerobic activities.

Our body is primed and ready to receive nutrition in the glycogen window. It’s as through the ship is at port and all hands are on deck waiting to receive supplies. The soccer team has the ball and the opposing team, with its goalie, is nowhere to be found. There is no better time to fuel up because your ability to make glycogen is two to three times higher than it will be half an hour later. While we eventually will recover our depleted glycogen stores without taking advantage of this window, those who opt out of immediate refueling may need to wait an extra 48-72 hours for their bodies to get back to pre-workout fuel stores.

An added bonus to this window of optimization is that our body is most likely to utilize the nourishment received for tissue repair and adaptation, maintaining the strength of the immune system, and furiously preparing the entire body to be able to handle another workout. This means that your recovery meal is unlikely to be converted to body fat.

But this is not license to have a recovery meal of chocolate cake, ladies!

The glycogen window is a potent opportunity to supply our bodies with the best possible fuel. If everything you ate would make or break your training and your results, would you choose differently? In reality, it does. Your meals are the foundation of your skeletal system, your muscular strength and endurance, your immune system, and your energy. You are what you digest and assimilate.

So, what is the best fuel for recovery?

My personal favorite is a smoothie. I can customize it to meet my needs and it supplies mega-nourishment in a rapidly digested, convenient package. Your recovery meal must contain easily digested carbohydrate, protein, and some antioxidants, all of which can be found in a smoothie:

SmoothieDark Berries and Their Juices. Sources of natural carbohydrates and some of the best anti-inflammatory, anti-oxidant nutrients around! Tart cherries have been shown in one study to reduce muscle soreness and the high antioxidant count of blueberries, raspberries, and strawberries prevent wear and tear on the body and preserve the immune system. Bonus points if you go organic — evidence strongly supports organic produce has higher levels of antioxidants and phytochemicals than conventionally grown counterparts.

Protein. You can choose a protein powder, tofu or yogurt, but please skip the raw eggs! Studies indicate that consuming some protein with your carbohydrate allows glycogen storage to be increased 30% more than consuming carbohydrate alone. It’s speculated that the protein helps “shuttle” the carbohydrate to the eagerly waiting muscle cells. This protein can also be used to repair microtears in our muscles, which contribute to soreness. When choosing a protein powder, look for a GMO-free (if soy), rBGH-free (if whey or egg based) source without artificial sweeteners. Your local natural food store is likely to carry such a product or you may wish to look online.

Extra Goodies. Some healthful components to add to your smoothie to boost nutrition can be: a liquid vitamin, mineral, or antioxidant formula, spirulina, bee pollen, adaptogenic herbs (which help the body adapt to the stresses of life and training), amino acids, or any other nutrient-booster that meets your unique needs. This is a wonderful way to sneak in vitamins if your kids (or you!!) seem to have a hard time getting that multi in each morning. Some pills are hard to swallow, but a smoothie always goes down sweetly!

And clean-up needn’t be complicated! When you are finished with your blender, refill it with water, add a little dish soap, and blend on high. It should do a respectable job of cleaning up the side walls. Then rinse and let air dry. Voilà!

So let’s hear back from you! If you haven’t been refueling IMMEDIATELY after your workout, try it this week and report back here any changes you have noticed. I’m willing to bet we are going to see a marked increase in energized, happy women! Watch out, world, here we come!

Smoothie photo by Calvert Cafe & Catering

• Reply Suzie Cooney of Suzie Trains Maui March 24, 2010 at 10:31 pm

Aloha Aimee! A great reminder for those who are confused about how and when to fuel. You’re right, some often overlook this HUGE opportunity to make your training count!

GREAT article!
    Suzie

• Reply Nancy March 25, 2010 at 5:52 am

I love this. I am reading this really great information and then I learn a tip on how to clean my blender. Talk about multi-tasking! Thank you so much, Nancy

• Reply Serenity March 25, 2010 at 8:35 am

I loved all the advice! Yes, lately after lifting or a heavy run, I have been drinking a protein shake afterward, and I can tell a difference. I am still spent, but in a different way- not as wasted. Its like my body is actually refueling; I can feel it.
    On a general note, thanks for this important piece of information on nutrition. I also feel this insight about food as fuel helps women view themselves as athletes, and that our bodies are our partner in the journey, rather than frames we want to subjugate and starve into some sort of submissive state. The latter ends in eating disorders and distorted body images, versus women striving to be the strongest they can be for the challenge and joy of living to our full potential. Thanks!

• Reply kelli March 25, 2010 at 12:02 pm

great article! love all the information!!! Blender tip is fabulous too! I like to have a glass of chocolate milk. 🙂 (I have to use lactaid!– I wonder if that defeats the purpose!)

• Reply Catherine Dickson March 25, 2010 at 1:48 pm

Hi Aimee!

Wow! Really great article that has me thinking in general. May I ask, what are your initial feelings over supplementation? Reason I ask is that my eldest son (19 yrs) is an athlete (BB pitcher) who takes creatine regularly with on/off cycles typically being 6 weeks. Any thoughts to share? 🙂

• Reply John March 25, 2010 at 2:00 pm

Nice. Great reminder as to why we need to recover properly.

• Reply Catherine Dickson March 25, 2010 at 8:22 pm

Hi Serenity!

Thank you for sharing your noted comment over the importance of nutrition: “food as fuel helps women view themselves as athletes, and…” I really couldn’t agree more. On occasion, I still find myself mentioning to both genders what a healthy meal plan looks like in a given day.

It’s alarming how many people skip meals in general and still expect to get a good workout in. I’ve sent home plenty of people saying I won’t train them until they’ve made a conscious effort to eat something healthy beforehand. That seems to work for the most part.

As a lifter myself, I’ve benefitted from eating protein (cottage cheese, kefir, and whey, for example) 2 hours before going to bed. It seems doing this isn’t for anyone yet it helps me to maintain my muscle integrity and strength for the following day of training. 🙂

• Reply Mary DeLaney March 28, 2010 at 1:17 pm

Aimee, thanks for that great article! I totally agree you about smoothies! I love them and fix one for breakfast at least 3-4 days a week. You can even make the smoothie before you go for your workout, put it in the fridge and when you come back in, give it a whirl in the blender with a couple of ice cubes and it is ready to go.

• Reply Serenity March 29, 2010 at 3:08 pm

Hey Catherine!
    Super good tip about the protein before bed- my husband has noted progress about doing this too. I am going to try it on my lifiting days too now!
    Cheers!

• Reply Catherine Dickson March 29, 2010 at 9:49 pm

Hi Serenity!

I’m so glad to hear the protein addition is working. Basically it comes down to giving your body what it needs to stay fueled properly for the type of workout you’re giving it. Lifting is demanding especially if you lift regularly in a week as I do, twice for each body part covering six-days in total. Not to mention, cardio–which I also do 6 days to boot. Keeping my muscle integrity is everything!And happily it shows on me!!!!:)

Let me know how it works for you. I’d like to hear back from you for sure. Thanks for your supportive feedback and keep up the great lifting work you’re doing. Tell me, what does your typical lifting routine look like??

• Reply Serenity April 1, 2010 at 5:59 pm

It is a daily challenge for me to stay on track sometimes- but I am committed, and I know over the long haul, that means progress. Over the last year and a half I have lost 20 lbs, mostly from running, but then I added a pilates workout (pilates machine) and a yoga workout on varying days to mix it up. And I have found that if you give yourself enough time, you hit a bit of a plateau… SO! This winter I started jumping off my treadmill between pyramid workouts, one day I would do sets of leg work (calve raises, lungs, squats- all with free weights), and one day I would do arms (bis, tris, brachialis, etc. on my pilates machine). The mixing of the cardio and running- jumping off to do some weight work in between was awesome. I would usually run between 3-4 miles, while getting some weight work in. Then a day I would only do pilates, and then a day I would only do yoga, and then cross-country skiing a few times a week as well with my husband and kids. Whew!

Long story there- my apologies! As spring has come I need change! I have gotten out my spin bike, still do the running/lifting workouts, but now devote one day just to arms, with some dumbbells. The biggest issue I have had- I do love pilates, great great great- but now I am actually interested in some bulk. Many women shy away from that, but I feel that I have really hit a plateau with the pilates, and working in the dumbbells is making some gains. I really can’t say enough about pilates though, it prepared me to hit the dumbells. I lifted pretty seriously in high school, but I have a much better overall foundation now, as far as endurance and nutrition wise. I am preparing to start swim training for a summer triathlon- which is another motivation for weight work.

What is your take on vitamins or supplements?

Sharing your routine during your week is very encouraging. ‘Muscle integriy’- yes!! I have two girls, ages 5 and 3 1/2, and that is what I hope to model for them. Women can have muscles- and they better be using them!

Sometimes I feel odd for making my physical health such a priority- many of my friends are too busy, or not interested. I know its really its just a daily decision, like a hundred others we make. Everyone has this chance. Yes there is sacrifice, but there is also payoff. Like the overwhelming rush of exhaustion and joy flooding your senses when you finish a triathlon, and the pride of carrying a desk down a flight of stairs without assistance.

Its worth it.

• Reply Catherine Dickson April 2, 2010 at 4:29 pm

Hi Serenity!

First off, I love your attitude and dedication! It matches mine to a tee! You go girl! and yes, being the utmost role model to our children, friends, family, co-workers, partners, etc. is where it’s at especially in my life. Kudos to you, really!!!!!!!

In regards to your swim training for the upcoming triathlon, I would suggest getting started with let’s say: Monday: chest, triceps, Tuesday: back, abs, Wednesday: off, Thursday: Legs, abs, Friday: Shoulders, biceps, Sat./Sun.: off. This is a great beginner’s training to put on muscle mass.

If you’d like I could make more suggestions on what types of lifting exercises are suitable. Please let me know. I’m always happy to help where I can.

It certainly is worth every bit of it and more. There’s nothing like the rush, the exhiliration, the accomplishment, the sweat, the exhaustion, the joy together with the love of the effort in working hard: feeling strong, feeling great and being able to move mountains literally energy wise.

Your model will enpower your children to be the very best they can be. Seen in the confidence and determination you carry and in moving it forward to them in all they do and set out to do. And to me, that’s the greatest gift you can give them as they enter youth into adulthood.

It’s a different world out there, and having muscle (inside and out) is an essential element in my opinion.

Thanks for sharing a bit about you. I’m here if you’d like to inquire further.

P.S. May you have a very Happy Easter with your family outdoors!!!! 🙂
    P.S.S. I’ll comment more around the vitamins and supplements in a bit. Gotta go now, out with my littlest.

• Reply Catherine Dickson April 2, 2010 at 8:35 pm

Hi Serenity,

My take on vitamins and supplements is a ‘thumbs up’ approach. Personally, I do take both vitamins and supplements daily. I am big on powder and liquid forms versus capsule since I like the isotonic-readily available aspect that both powder and liquids offer. In other words, anything that gets right into my bloodstream is what works well for me and quickly, I might add. Especially when my workouts are all about an early morning start with breakfast at-hand. I never leave my house without having eaten breakfast. Breakfast affords me a really effective, efficient and productive workout with the fuel I need to lift and do cardio in the same session rather than a split routine of morning and night.

A really good multivitamin is essential daily. I’m an avid believer (and taker) of amino acids (BCAA’s, L-Carnitine, L-Glutamine, super foods, etc.) and typically blend these into oatmeal in the morning along with whey protein. Fish oils are another that I like a lot for various reasons, heart and otherwise.

Basically, I lean on walnuts (a handful) for my fat intake, salad dressings (healthy versions, of course) and dark chocolate (70 percent or greater). I do eat a lot of fish, almost every day. Greens are important too. Egg whites, sweet potatoes, and apples are favorites of mine as well.

I hope this info helps you. Please feel free to ask me further if you’d like, okay? 🙂

• Reply Aimee Gallo April 3, 2010 at 7:46 am

Serenity;

I love your point about viewing our bodies as partners – I completely agree! The cultural norm is to disconnect and judge, poke, prod and malign this INCREDIBLE gift that we have been given in our body.
    No matter what, our body always tries to keep up with whatever we ask of it. It is more loyal than any canine friend, just as mysterious as the cosmos, and offers us the opportunity to learn and grow each day. One thing I have learned on my own athletic journey is to stop viewing my body as slave, but instead view it as child/partner/friend/teacher.

Catharine (and Serenity);
    My initial feelings over supplementation is that some are a very good idea – mainly the nutrients that we tend to lack most in diet or bloodwork – Vitamin D, Omega 3’s a quality multivitamin, etc.
    When it comes to children and creatine, it gets a little fuzzy. If your son is working hard enough that his own young body can’t keep up, is it too much? I’ve also heard speculation about it interfering with the body’s ability to create its own supply, but haven’t delved deeply into existing research since I tend to work more with endurance athletes. Istonic/liquid options tend to be more “fun” to consume, thus get consumed more regularly than pills. Regardless, the company and the base ingredients need to be of high quality.

Anyone else out there have any thoughts on your th and supplementation?
    Regarding protein before bed – I know my personal body gets all revved up on protein so I need to keep my own quantities before bed pretty low or I stay up all night.

Mary – Thanks for the smoothie tip! Great idea for those long runs or when there is a time crunch after your workout!

• Reply Aimee Gallo April 3, 2010 at 7:47 am

Hello, typo!

That should read, “anyone else have thoughts on youth and supplementation?”

-Aimee

• Reply Serenity April 3, 2010 at 11:25 am

This is truly an invigorating and inspiring thread!

Thankyou thankyou thankyou Catherine for the advice on a lifting regiment as I focus more on my triathlon. Getting an outside perspective can be priceless. Sometimes I think I have been all over the place with my training, versus ‘smart’ training for more efficient, maximum results.

I have been regularly taking a multi-vitamin, and have just added flaxseed oil for the Omega-3s; love those avocadoes, dark chocolate, and salmon. And it has been great because my kids could eat salmon everyday- yay! I have also been trying to eat more beans (raw and then soaking them), as well as wild rice for grains. Its so easy to grab bread, but I am trying to branch out more. Plus, its fun to try new food.

The reason I asked about the vitamin is that when I ran out last week I could actually tell a difference. As I increase my focus in training, it is seeming that my margin is becoming more slim, if that makes sense. When I don’t fuel myself properly, it shows. Lack of sleep, it shows. Higher intensity in cardio and lifting means a higher intensity in other areas. In other words, I need to support the physical output I am expecting from my body by supporting it in very intentional ways even when I am not actually ‘working out’. I now realize that as a college athlete I think I neglected this area immensely, i.e., fueling my body correctly, allowing rest, staying hydrated even when not thirsty, etc.

I actually eat 6 meals a day, and considering that I have now lost my ‘baby weight’ from having two kids in 21 months, people balk when I tell them that. Friends and family don’t really ‘get’ it. How could you be healthier by eating “more”? Its hard to believe, but the small meals throughout the day (protein/carb combinations) have revved my metabolism and given me the energy to start investing in some dreams I’ve had.

Before, I used to nap alot, now I am having energy to run a business, parent two kids, work on a book, train for a triathlon. I attribute improved nutrition, and a vigilant committment to fitness, as being the integral components for me to walk this road. Even writing this out is a good reminder about what has gotten me where I am and what can get me where I yet want to be.

• Reply Catherine Dickson April 3, 2010 at 4:33 pm

Absolutely Serenity!!!!

I am a true believer that you can get exactly what you want when you put your mind, what I call ‘mental fitness’ to work. All else in my mind falls right into place backed by the commitment you refer to along with what sounds like a ‘real passion’ for it all. Clearly, what you and I do share happily with the other athletes here at Athleta is a strong drive to excel and succeed at what we love to do, while juggling it all: kids, career(s), relationships, staying fit, home, volunteer and community responsibilities!!!

Keep going strong, moving forward in your mindfulness over fitness while enjoying the journey and pursuit of what your dreams are (and will continue to be)!!! It is a path definitely worth charting and growing from in so many ways (both inside and out) as you already know and have seen thus far.

The endless smiles and joy is amazing, is exhilirating, is priceless and has a level of inspiration that carries a ceiling of extreme happiness I find difficult to describe. It’s about the experience, the ‘feeling’, and the wonderful people who feed me continually that infinitely inspires the athlete inside me–well over 25 years now.

Your insights around yourself, your needs, and your nutrition are on target in my opinion. Again, I love your given attitude most of all here. May it be contagious to other readers/bloggers in knowing just how important ‘attitude’ is in determining successful outcomes for everything we choose and encounter in life. 🙂

Please keep me posted on your progress, Serenity. I’d really like to know what’s further ahead for you, your fitness goals, your writing endeavors, etc. It’s really great to connect with you, what a pleasure!!

• Reply Catherine Dickson April 3, 2010 at 5:01 pm

Hi Aimee!

Thank you for your insights and avid knowledge shared here. Really nice to receive your feedback and nutritional expertise referencing supplementation, etc.

P.S. Creatine is so widely written about (still appears in every muscle magazine I’ve read and I read voraciously weekly) and spoken of that I hesitate to fully accept what its real benefits are. Especially with the thinking that one shouldn’t do without it…etc., etc. Seems to be a bit more intense in its delivery than what naturally needs to be in general…my thought anyway since my approach is just that when it comes to staying fit and fitness.

• Reply Serenity April 5, 2010 at 3:14 pm

Catherine and Aimee-

Positive female mentorship, dare I say role models?- is a rarity for me. Yet I have found it here. Truly a blessing.

I will definitely keep you posted Catherine. The journey is amazing, as I anticipate finishing a few of my goals in the next 5 months. What’s so fun is that even while I am working so hard to accomplish long-held dreams, I am already starting to look ahead. I knew someone who wanted to run just so they could say they had run a 5k, and then never ran again. They had ‘made it.’ Stretching to accomplish goals is about so much more! It’s about the journey, the process, the growth, and even the next challenge on the horizon that we are being prepared for. As the weather here turns warm and I’ve been able to go trail running I was reminded how training has become time alone, reflection, focus, a daily challenge of facing my fears and hopes, straining toward being more than I thought I could be last year, last month, last week.

Thanks for the support along this road.

• Reply Catherine Dickson April 6, 2010 at 5:17 am

Hi Serenity,

Keep moving wonderfully forward diligently as you are! I see a story coming of your journey which is so very exciting!! When ‘we’ look ahead past our dreams, if you will, to me, that says we are truly enjoying the pursuit of the journey knowing just how meaningful and worthwhile it is.

There’s really nothing better than having that realization clearly cut and defined.
    The process or journey is what I delight in most of all. Of course, the mastery involved through it all has me hooked as well. Again, not to mention the amazing people I continually meet as I journey in each day I’m given.

Enjoy every moment Serenity! I look forward to hearing back from you very soon!Stay focused as you are–keep your eye on the ‘ball’…

All the best in feeling strong and fit wrapped in sheer fun, sweat, and challenge!!! 🙂

• Reply Carol Farrell April 9, 2010 at 12:44 am

Hi! I am in need of information (help). I am a 60 yr old woman very slowly recovering from 3 major back surg. in a year. It has been 6 mo’s now since the last one. I have followed the Dr.’s advice and done my therapy even with it causing severe pain.

I still can only sit for about 5 minutes at a time, stand for even less, and have finally gotten my jello legs to manage a 2 block walk outside each day. Since these are my physical limitations, I have been homebound and mostly bedfast for this last 1 1/2 years.

I used to walk 5 miles a day, snow, sleet, rain, or hot summer. I also worked 2 full time jobs for the 24 years before this back problem became an emergency issue. I still hold down one of those jobs from my bed by revising my life & work around being mostly in bed.

Do you have any suggestions for nutritional supp. that I could take that might help me? I have been living almost completely on yoplait low fat yogurt. I have asked my husband to get me some yoplait sugar free yogurt because by eating so much yogurt, the carbs are way to much for my current physical status. Yes I am overweight. I have lost 46 # since before the first surg. but need to lose a lot more.

Any suggestions for ways to increase my strength (I live in a very small Midwest rural community that is 25 miles from a heated swimming pool which is what I feel would be my best option for now. But it is not possible for me to even stand the ride there)

Any nutritonal or physical training advice would be greatly appreciated

• Reply Catherine Dickson April 9, 2010 at 4:49 pm

Hi Carol!

Hmmm, a few questions for you first if I may…I’d like to help you as a Certified Fitness Trainer who once was injured and plagued with a back issue, now free of it through a judicious approach I put together myself along with much self-monitoring, reading, and avid experience: trial and error, etc. All exercise done intentionally, with great form, slowly! and with an outcome of amazing function and strength.

1) Please tell me what part of your back has received the 3 surgeries you speak of: Lumbar, sacral or thoracic, for instance?
    2) Is stretching a regular part of your day? If so, what type of stretching are you doing, when during the day, and how often?
    3) Are you drinking plenty of water to stay fully hydrated within a given day? 8, 8-ounce glasses of water are recommended to keep your spinal disks fluid and hydrated to act as the shock-absorbers they are intended to be between the vertebrae of the spine. Begin to drink more water if you haven’t done so mindfully (spread out throughout the day, of course). Drinking water adds to one’s improved flexibility in whole seen in the movement and ease of the spine. I see it every day with the clients I work with regularly as a marked area of improvement. And quite honestly, it’s the easiest thing to do that’s wonderfully healthy for the body (and complexion, too, I might add!).

Please respond and we can happily go from there, okay? Thank you! 🙂

• Reply Aimee Gallo April 10, 2010 at 8:04 am

Carol;

Without knowing more details about your condition, medications you are on, etc; it would be unwise to dispense any kind of recommendation. If you’d like a complimentary consultation to discuss your options, you can email or call our office (information at http://www.vibrancenutrition.com) and we can set up a phone appointment with a nutritionist to explore possibilities.

Warmly;

Aimee

• Reply Mary DeLaney April 11, 2010 at 4:01 am

Carol,

I am so sorry to hear about the ordeal through which you are going! It is very difficult to have been so active and now, living from your bed. In my business, Rehab to Racing (http://www.rehabtoracing.com), we work primarily with injured athletes.

The first thing you need is a hard diagnosis of why you continue to have severe back pain after 3 surgeries and this period of time. You mention you live in a small town in the midwest. You may want to consult an orthopedic surgeon or neurosurgeon at one of the large universities, such as Cleveland Clinic or Mayo. You need to see someone who sees thousands of back pain patients a year, particularly someone who specializes in chronic pain, to determine the cause. Only then, can effective treatment or therapy begin.

As you said, pool therapy would be excellent, but you have to be able to get there.

I have been a PT for over 30 years and a big red flag went up when you said the physical therapy caused severe pain. In my opinion, something was not right there and you should not have had that reaction to the therapy.

I agree with Aimee that you need nutritional counseling. You can’t possibly expect your body to build the muscle mass you require to get up and out of bed without a balanced diet, which clearly yogurt will not provide. However, nutrition alone will not alleviate your severe back pain.

If you want to contact me back-line, to continue this discussion, you can do that through our website.

Best of luck to you!

Mary

• Reply Jade Gianakopoulos April 12, 2010 at 7:25 am

Thanks for the great tips. This is a wonderful and simple way to fuel workouts. I like the smoothy way too and love your great tip on cleaning the blender.

• Reply Catherine Dickson April 12, 2010 at 9:07 pm

Hi Carol,

Both Aimee and Mary have brought up some really meaningful points of information/help.

Wishing you the very best always with many healing thoughts sent your way. 🙂

~Catherine

• Reply Rachel M. April 13, 2010 at 1:40 pm

Beef jerky and/or hard boiled eggs, apple and almond butter (or almonds). All can be kept in the car ready to be eaten right after my workout. I love Justin’s serving size packets of almond butter: http://www.justinsnutbutter.com/ They have made eating on-the-go so much better!

• Reply Teri Hansen April 12, 2011 at 9:28 am

Thanks, Rachel M for the advice about “in the car” foods…

I do yoga and kickboxing right after work, and then I’m in the car for the 30 minute commute back home (and then it’s time for dinner). So I am thinking I might try to pack some berry juice in a bottle, and keep re-supplying the almonds I already carry in the car. Any other suggestions for a small post-workout snack that won’t completely ruin my appetite for dinner?

Any opinions on coconut water?

• Reply Aimee Gallo April 12, 2011 at 12:28 pm

Teri;

I will have some dried fruit on hand, or maybe a jar or shaker bottle with a scoop of protein powder and an individual lunchbox container of almond milk for after highly taxing workouts when I know I need protein in ASAP. Rachel’s suggestion of jerky is also one that I use; it’s easy to keep a bag of jerky in the glove box for a few weeks and not worry about spoilage or the melting coating of a bar. When snacks get tiring I switch it up with a half-sandwich of gluten-free bread (but only because I’m gluten-sensitive. Sprouted grain bread is really good for you if you can tolerate gluten).

Coconut water is fantastic! I highly recommend it. It’s a great source of electrolytes, is refreshing, and supplies wonderful trace minerals. I use it exclusively when it gets hot outside!

• Reply Farrah April 12, 2011 at 10:12 pm

Great bit of info. Usually after my marathon training or CrossFit, i’ll take on a bowl of cereal and a banana, but now i can see i am missing a huge essential… protein.

Starting tomorrow, i’m buying a protein powder. I want that 30-45 minute window for recovery and muscle growth. Don’t we all?

Why don’t trainers tell you this???

• Reply Valerie April 13, 2011 at 8:54 am

Typos… Doesn’t anyone proof read this before it is posted online?

• Reply Aimee Gallo April 13, 2011 at 9:44 am

Farrah;

Few trainers have a legitimate education in nutrition. Many of them simply don’t know how to properly educate their clientele to fuel their body for maximum performance!

• Reply Lisa V June 11, 2011 at 8:32 am

I take my L-glutamine, and L-ariginine pre-workout, and then carnitine,creatine, and another dose of glutamine with either gatorade or a fruit smoothie post-workout. I have kept soreness at bay, and have developed a leaner physique. It is very important to incorporate weight training along with cardio, and yoga for a well-balanced workout regimen. I am 50 years young, and have started doing all these things and have lose 20 lbs. two dress sizes, and am in the best shape of my life. I have also found that incorporating CoQ10, reseveratrol in my supplementation helps keep me young as well. I have learned to eat 5-6 small meals/day to keep my metabolism optimal. My husband has lost 18 lbs. alone doing this with me, WITHOUT working out…(I’m still working on him about that one!) Don’t forget to get plenty of sleep too, your body secretes hormones that suppress hunger during sleep hours, and if you don’t get enough sleep, your body doesn’t turn off hunger signals! I am an RN, and I see the effects of poor lifestyle every day…but then again, as I am reading the previous posts, I am among women that have decided to take charge of their health, and fitness, and it makes me very happy as a healthcare provider! Keep up the good work girls, and spread the word!

• Reply Jackie Keane November 22, 2011 at 8:00 am

Aimee, I love the article especially the section about Dark Berries and their Extra goodies. I did a blog on recovery drinks just the other day about the benefits of chocolate milk for a recovery drink as it has just the right amount of carbohydrates to protein ratios. You can visit the blog as it has some healthy nutritious facts and a dose of humor. http://exerciseforlifeandwellness.blogspot.com/2011/11/why-shouldnt-every-recovery-drink-be.html
    Just thought all you starbucks fans out there might like my recovery drink! Hope it brings a smile to your faces for this holiday season and gives you some ideas about recovery drinks. I am def. going to try Aimees drinks!
    Jackie Keane