Be Healthy All Year

Suzie Cooney, CPTAs we settle into the New Year, it’s a time for many of us to take special inventory of family, life and our own personal health. I am so thankful for being on Maui, but not everyone is as lucky to live on a tropical island, eat fresh fish, and simply enjoy the natural healthy lifestyle that surrounds us. But even if you are in the coldest place in the world, you can embrace health in the simplest ways…

Make YOU a Priority. Exercise or do an activity you enjoy each and every day. Make an appointment with yourself in your calendar or phone, so that nothing gets in your way. It works for me.

Choose Health. Embrace your life as it is today, and strive hard to make everlasting healthy lifestyle choices.

Build Your Support. Surround yourself with people that challenge you, inspire you and believe in you. It really makes a difference! I like to surf or do sports with people that are pretty aggressive. It keeps me on my toes and makes me a better surfer. I also have several mentors that act as my compass. Who is your compass?

Love Your Body. Look in the mirror and like what you see. Having a healthy body image and loving yourself inside and out is contagious and I think very attractive. People with negative body images have a greater likelihood of developing an eating disorder and are more likely to suffer from feelings of depression, isolation, low self-esteem and obsessions with weight loss. I often come across training clients who have a vision of how they want to see themselves vs. who they really are and how their bodies are made. Genetics, medical conditions and other physiological factors play a role in how our bodies take shape.

Forget New Year’s Resolutions. They don’t work. Chunk it down and be realistic with your fitness goals. People expect not to keep their resolutions so it’s almost self defeating. Treat your goals as process or journey. Reward yourself with a new workout top, new surf board, or whatever makes you happy!

Reflect. Look back, and see where you are now and where you want to go; in life, love and health.

Wishing that all you love comes your way. Be strong in every step you take. Try something new!

Aloha and Mahalo, Suzie

You might also like

Meet Laura, Athleta PR & Partnerships Manager

Laura doesn’t just work at Athleta, she lives and breathes the mission as a PR and Partnerships Manager and instructor at our in-office Fit Studio. She says she loves everything about working at Athleta, especially that “the work that we do is so inspiring and purposeful, that after a long day, I walk out of…

Stephanie

January 16, 2010 at 6:49 am

What a great article! I’d LOVE to be in Maui… but I’m trapped in what it feels like the coldest place on Earth!!! Love the inspiration; my only wish is that it was longer!!

Thank you for sharing!

Stephanie

Suzie Cooney

January 17, 2010 at 10:59 am

Aloha Stephanie,

Thank you for your nice comment. Yes we are lucky to live Maui, but out inspiriation comes from within no matter where we are. Keep warm.

Sending you rainbows,
Suzie Cooney

Tara Krolczyk

January 17, 2010 at 8:08 pm

Keep up the great columns. Hopefully we can come join you soon for some warmer weather stand up paddling! Tara

Suzie Cooney

January 19, 2010 at 11:35 pm

Aloha Tara,

Yes, if ever in Maui, we could do a SUP tour of a couple of nice spots!

Thanks for saying hello.

Suzie Cooney, CPT

anne marie

January 21, 2010 at 8:57 pm

Totally agree with Forget Resolutions. I’m a definite believer in breaking the big dreams down into realistic steps. I’ve also heard a lot of people use ‘Intentions’ vs. Resolutions which I liked. mahalo! (I’ll be in Hawaii in March, but the big island for the lavaman triathlon…and i can’t WAIT!)

Suzie Cooney

January 24, 2010 at 5:47 pm

Anne Marie,
Thanks for saying hello! Wow, checked out your site..you go girl. Impressive. I don’t miss the chilly mornings of the Bay Area and commend that you are solid in your own commitments to yourself. I can get up and surf that early, but working out for my own training is after my last client, like 5pm. Although I do get a decent workout all the throug out the day.

Keep me posted on your efforts. I’m really excited for you!

Warm aloha,
Suzie Cooney, CPT Maui Hawaii

Brooke Batman

November 10, 2010 at 8:46 am

Wow! Awesome article 🙂 It is just what I needed right now. Thanks so much for the inspiration. I think a nice treat for my every day simple little disciplines would be a nice little vacation to Hawaii during the cold months here in Kansas 😉 Maybe I could run a little race while I was there. My son and I love the water, but of course haven’t spent time in the ocean.

Thanks again for sharing:)

Serenity

November 10, 2010 at 6:15 pm

SO GOOD!
ALL GOOD!
Thankyou!!

I really thought your talk about the support system was vital. As with any change, you have to seek out those who support you. This can be a challenge. Some people like the ‘you’ they know. Change can be threatening. But so worth it- and I just want to encourage anyone out there who questions if you can do it. You can, if you choose to.

One day at a time, over one year, I lost 25 pounds, mostly post-pregnancy weight, through Pilates, yoga, running and free weights. I also ate six small meals a day, with a purposeful amount of protein at each meal. I was confronted with a weird mix of responses from some people in my life. It ranged from cynicism, shock, actually ignoring that I became someone else, to questioning if I was on drugs.

Those who are in my current support system appreciate the changes that took place, affirm the sacrifices I made to grow, understand why it was important to remove myself from being at risk for future health problems like breast cancer, and why I wanted to get back into competition by competing in triathlons and road races.

Don’t let others enable you to be comfortable. Push the envelope, challenge yourself, challenge others assumptions about yourself. Be who you were meant to be.

All the best Suze!